Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookng for sources for mason jars - half pint and pint. The prices seem so ridiculously high, in local stores and even what I've been able to find online so far. I don't want to use plastic. With so many food products packed in throwaway jars, you'd think that jars would be really cheap to buy. The going prices are about 80 cents per jar with lid. Does anyone have a cheaper source?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Keep in mind that on-line purchases will usually include shipping costs. Glass jars are heavy so when you figure in the shipping it might not be better than what you get in the store. Of course if you have Amazon Prime and use that you wont have shipping costs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
That's about the best price locally I can find for glass jars. Wal-Mart and Dollar General have a dozen for a little less than $9. Thats about .75 per jar, with lids. Sometimes see them on sale for $7.95, but I always miss those deals.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just received an order from this Fillmore and the jars I use are 50 cents less per jar than my previous company that I have used for years. My original company imported them from China and I was uncomfortable with that so I looked for a US company and tried Fillmore. The importers must pay duty and shipping costs and as I understand it Fillmore is made in the USA. I did note that the same size 9 ounce jars from Fillmore seem thinner and Think may not be exactly the same volume as my previous jars that were imported. JWPalmer is correct the covers are extra and I think about .17 cents.
Give this company a look over. Note that prices do not include lids.

https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/containers/glass-jars.html

·
Registered
958 Posts
I biy my jars at Wal-Mart. I uses the Kerr brand. Jars aren't that bad looking either. Fair priced with flats and rings. 6 blocks away from home, and no waiting. Of course they have 3-5 brands and designs to pick from.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I just received an order from this Fillmore and the jars I use are 50 cents less per jar than my previous company that I have used for years. My original company imported them from China and I was uncomfortable with that so I looked for a US company and tried Fillmore. The importers must pay duty and shipping costs and as I understand it Fillmore is made in the USA. I did note that the same size 9 ounce jars from Fillmore seem thinner and Think may not be exactly the same volume as my previous jars that were imported. JWPalmer is correct the covers are extra and I think about .17 cents.
If you are concerned about the volume fill the jar with water, then pour it out into a measuring cup to check the volume.

I have some 5/8 pint jars (that I got for free), but I just sell them as 1/2 because I dont care that much

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I use Simmsons in their Mayo jars. For pints. If you can wait and buy enough they will deliver. When they have a truck going that way. I can say how often they get your way. And everything is up in the air this year. One of the only reasons I do Wooster and OSBS shows. My truck is all is full when I come home. Their web site sucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any Amish or Mennonite communities nearby? I get mine from an Amish sourgham syrup maker. most of the Amish communities get them by the truckload from Arkansas glass company. Some will resell them, others not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts