Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read here and there about feeding with confectionery fondant. Does anyone know of a good source for bee-quality confectionery fondant?

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Thrifty.....oh thats right. Thats the term for those who have no value for thier time, labor and other factors...... ;)

Typical for beekeepers I suppose.

Last time I bought sugar it was 2.29 for five pounds.

Last time I bought fondant, it was 29.50 for 50 pounds block.

So ten bags of sugar is $22.90 versus 29.50 for a fondant block already mixed and prepared.

I think a clean kitchen, a happy wife, probably several hours work, cleaning pots, and whatever else could be involved with making 50 pounds of fondant....is certainly worth more than $6.60. I personally value my time somewhere above the 2 dollar level...but thats just me. ;)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I don't know where I would keep 50lbs. Someday maybe I'll need it.

I made some last weekend. Magnet-man, yes, that is the list of ingredients. I didn't measure anything, just dumped about 5lbs of sugar into a medium kettle, enough water to make a thick syrup, corn syrup (can also use vinegar, the idea is to invert the sugar) and heated.

stir until desolved and then let boil until 238F.

You'll have the water content just right when the candy thermometer hits 238F.

Be careful, candy making has caused some terrible burns as the hot stuff is very sticky.

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Fondant as being made with sugar, water, and corn syrup goes back many years in the bee books. The recipes and options to the ingredients are many.

The only real difference I can see is the use of tartar. Something that almost all traditional recipes had for beekeepers making fondant or bee candy. And of course you would never get tartar as part of the ingredients in commercially bought fondant from a bakery store.

I have seen some beekeepers use some heated sugar recipe to make bars or molds of candy so hard that could be broken in pieces. Again, something not achievable with fondant. I never made it this way myself.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Here is how I see it

Fondant – A SMOOTH PASTE made from boiled sugar syrup, often colored or flavored, and used as a coating for cakes.

Candy – A sugar solution turned into a HARD SOLID.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Tartar is used as an acid to invert the sugar. Vinegar works or you can start with some already inverted sugar, like corn syrup.

Fondant is candy. Candy is more than fondant.

Dave, by your definition a "Candy Bar" is not a bar of candy.

Should I assume that we mean in the context of bee food and that we are limited to pure sugar sorts of things? (At least that's how I assume Dave meant it.)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
John F . . .

>Should I assume . . .
NEVER assume anything!!!!

Fondant IS NOT candy. Candy IS NOT fondant.

Many assume they are the same since they both are offered to bees as food.

Some recipes produce a PASTE, some produce a HARD SOLID. Both can be fed to bees. A paste might not work well in a "candy board" (fall out when turned upside down) or in a vertical frame-type "candy feeder".

When we discuss "candy", it might be helpful to know that there is a physical difference.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
<Dave W>
NEVER assume anything!!!!
Good thing I asked.

<Dave W>
Fondant IS NOT candy.
Yes it is. It's candy in the soft ball stage. Wouldn't ya know it, there is a science.

<Dave W>
When we discuss "candy", it might be helpful to know that there is a physical difference.
Hence my questioning a context. In the context of "candy board"s and "candy feeder"s there is a difference and candy has a semantic.

Anyway Dave, I was just trying to clarify the terms with respect to bee feeding; fondant is soft and candy is hard. And yes, it is helpful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts