Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to start dipping my equipment this year. Is there a reputable company that makes premium blends for beekeepers. Or is it cheaper and as good to blend your own? Also to copper nap or not too?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Going to start dipping my equipment this year. Is there a reputable company that makes premium blends for beekeepers. Or is it cheaper and as good to blend your own? Also to copper nap or not too?

Thanks in advance.
I get my wax from Aztec in Knoxville, TN:

https://www.candlemaking.com/igi-5715-microcrystaline-wax-66lb-case.html

https://www.candlemaking.com/igi-1260-votive-molded-candle-wax-60lb-case.html

This is a bit cheaper but has a lower melting point, I decided to try it since it was about $10 per case cheaper

https://www.candlemaking.com/best-seller-igi-1230-multi-purpose-wax-60lb-case.html

I am going to start off with a 50/50 mix and observe how it performs and make adjustments from there. I am not going to use anything but wax, it will seal everything out for the most part, don't currently see the need for copper napthenate.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Kamon- Check with Strahl and Pitsch, Inc in West Babylon, NY That's where I purchased paraffin and microcrystalline to start dipping a few years ago. Not sure what the price is now, but back then it was competitive. I'll need to stock up again in a few months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What ratio of paraffin and microcrystalline did you use? I’m having a tank made for me currently and have read anywhere from 50/50 to 75/25

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply! What kind of burner do you use? My tank will be 24x24, it looks like your tank is roughly that size too. I was debating on doing two 3/4” black pipe burners with 1/8” holes about every 1/3-1/2”. I wasn’t sure if that would do or if I would need a third and am debating on if making a tree from them to a single air mixer would be enough or if I should put an air mixer on each one, could do either just not sure which would work best.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,827 Posts
A single air mixer will handle up to about 6' of 1" or 1-1/4" pipe. Slots cut with a band saw every 1/2" will work better than the 1/8" holes. I make BBQ grill burners for some of my clients. Here is a pic of one I did a year or so ago that went into a trailer mounted unit.

20180701_150518.jpg

Your best bet though is to buy a burner from Bayou Classics. Air mixers are not cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Next question may be silly but I really don’t know lol. So on my tank he called and said I’d save probably about $250 if I have it made in aluminum, he assured me strength wise it should be fine, other than heat loss is there any reason I shouldn’t have it made from aluminum instead of stainless steel? Would still be 1/4” bottom. I brought up aluminum for the heat shield as it will stay cooler and he mentioned it. He said he doesn’t know any reason not to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts