Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During hive inspections this summer I lost 2 different queens that flew away. What I noticed was that they made a much louder noise in flight than a worker bee in flight. Is this due to larger abdominal muscles? Or is this due to the size of the wings vs body size? Anyway, I just wondered if anyone has observed queens in flight and how you would describe the sound of them flying.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
I can't hear a rattle snake any more! Congratulations on your equipment. I have had a couple fly off too but I was loudly saying Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive instead of listening to them fly.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have not heard queens fly but I have heard drones many times. The drones are much louder than the workers and really get your attention until you realize it is them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
During hive inspections this summer I lost 2 different queens that flew away. What I noticed was that they made a much louder noise in flight than a worker bee in flight. Is this due to larger abdominal muscules? Or is this due to the size of the wings vs body size? Anyway, I just wondered if nyone has observed queens in flight and how you would describe the sound of them flying.
Your queens should have come back. Even when they are getting balled and are able to escape, and they come back, and get balled again. This happened to a queen I introduced, the next day she was getting balled, I freed her, she flew away and came back, to get balled again. The second time I was able to cage her and put it in the hive. She was finally accepted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts