Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 15 minutes from my house. A friends land. 110 acres. 80 acres alfalfa, 20 or so of clover and a lot of milkweed. Locust trees in the area, wild flowers but unfortunately a lot of corn in the area too. The spot I am planning to use on this open land is next to a small stand of 18' Concolor Christmas trees that are nice and tight. I can put them anywhere and am looking at nestling a couple hives up into the south, south east facing corner of these trees. He is open to me bringing in more hives and setting traps. He always sees lots of bees around.

It sounds like a great spot for a yard to me. Agree?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
It's 15 minutes from my house. A friends land. 110 acres. 80 acres alfalfa, 20 or so of clover and a lot of milkweed. Locust trees in the area, wild flowers but unfortunately a lot of corn in the area too. The spot I am planning to use on this open land is next to a small stand of 18' Concolor Christmas trees that are nice and tight. I can put them anywhere and am looking at nestling a couple hives up into the south, south east facing corner of these trees. He is open to me bringing in more hives and setting traps. He always sees lots of bees around.

It sounds like a great spot for a yard to me. Agree?
Sounds like paradise, Good Luck. G

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
That sounds like a nice place to put your bees. If the bees only fly a mile that still gives them over 2,000 acres to forage over....they can go further, but you get to a point of diminishing returns. Having good forage close by (as your bees will have) means that they will be very efficient foragers and won't be spending most of their energy and time on flying...also, less wear and tear on the bee's bodies for the amount of nectar harvested...a better return on investment.

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts