Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been some interesting thread going lately and some animocity involved as well. Well this one is to just say that for some reason when i am having a crappy crappy crappy day like yesterday when any and everything could and did go wrong, i can go and sit amongst the bees and just watch and feel the tension go away. I started with one hive, now have 8 and if i can get to FatBeemans place, I will have 9...since March. All are doing well, and there will be some spare honey for me this year amazingly enough. I am not sure what causes it, and sometimes i bet the commercial guys don't feel this way as they make their living from it, but to a small fella like me......its just dang peaceful........:D:D. My wife thinks i am crazy and she doesnt understand and she never will, just not her deal, but, i can feel better knowing that when i go up my apiary, everyone leaves me alone except the bees, and right now, heck, even they leave me alone. Sorry to throw this out there, but, I am just felling good, and I am grabbing a chair and goin up to watch them work!!!

Dev

·
Registered
302 Posts
I know how you feel Devdog, I feel the same way. I have two apiairy and one is fairly close to a road, people drive by and look at me like Im nuts. The other is in a meadow in the heart of the woods, very peaceful. I always look forward to going there and always make plans for extra time to just sit and watch them. Im going to build a couple benches to place one at each. Nothing like time spent sitting and watching the bees work, honey or no honey I would keep them just for this. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I only have 1 hive! and my wife asked me that question last night "why do you just sit out there? and what are you looking for?"

I told her I dont know and nothing...it's just quiet!

but If my plans go right, within a few years I'll have many many more hives on a spot about 1/4 mile from my house where 2 creeks converge with crystal clear cold water and soapstone waterfalls.....the buzz and babbling will definately be relaxing....

air traffic controlling is stressful...lol

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, if you an ATC, you need all the destressing you can get.....

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think all beekeepers feel this way. I always laugh out loud when I open the hives and all I see are little eyes looking at me from between the frames. I love my bees and there is no better feeling than to look at a frame chock full of eggs & brood. I love seeing the queen stomping around totally ignoring anything but her need to lay eggs. I also love seeing the bees during a honey flow. A constant stream going into the hive. My sister calls me a bee nerd, but I don't care.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats funny, my wife called me a bee nerd last night!!! Course i am going to FBM's to get another NUC too...lol

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
and my wife asked me that question last night "why do you just sit out there? and what are you looking for?"
Wife asked me the same thing the other night. I told her. “You would only be able to see me if you left the kitchen. Now get back in there and fix me a Chicken Pot Pie.”

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Wife asked me the same thing the other night. I told her. “You would only be able to see me if you left the kitchen. Now get back in there and fix me a Chicken Pot Pie.”
Forget Chuck Norris' kick! Watch out for your wife!! :lpf:

In addition to the pleasure of watching the bees come and go, is the aromatic thrill wafting from the hives of the scent of nectar being ripened into honey. I just love that. :)
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
In addition to the pleasure of watching the bees come and go, is the aromatic thrill wafting from the hives of the scent of nectar being ripened into honey. I just love that. :)
Regards,
Steven
Smelt that for the first time this season last night. I love that smell. Sounded like a 747 was getting ready to take off.

·
Registered
355 Posts
hambone that just made my day:thumbsup: i agree that there is nothin better than sittin on my 5 gallon bucket 5 foot from my hives. my kids go with me and they are out exploring having a good time. i just sit drinking a beer letting the time pass by. oh im also gettin two nucs from the fat bee man. but im not driving from montana. he is shippin them.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I only have 1 hive! and my wife asked me that question [mine all the time] "why do you just sit out there? and what are you looking for?"
I just tell her I am going to go look at some 'hot' girls.;), She smiles and usually doesn't ask again. Guess she doesn't feel real threatened.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine likes for me to watch her read......instead of playing with da ladies. Think she's chealous!!!...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Heck Yeah!

Sometimes I come home from work, greet wife and kids, and go right through the house to the yard to sit and watch for a little while, then come back in and visit with the humans. My wife used to tease me and say she didn't get it, but she recently told me she understands now and finds herself just watching too. Every time my kids ask her where I am, she tells them to go check near the hives, 'cause she knows that's usually where I am.

My youngest daughter and beekeeping partner calls it "Beegazing".

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sometimes its sad. i just went to check on a recent split which had a great laying queen. I cracked the lid and bam...saw a ball. Dang man, not again. So i fiddled around and picked up the ball and there was a tiny virgin queen in there....needless to say i tried to rescue her, but it was too late. No idea where she came from. Looke don the frame right in front of me and there is momma with her butt in a cell.....not paying attention at all. I did find one hive queenless as far as i could tell, but she could have been out on a mating flight as she was a new queen. If it was her, she was about 50ft off where she belonged. Who knows...we will see in a few days!!! Man, I love doing this!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts