Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up walking around the hives pulling weeds the other day and noticed a TON of bumblees below the Russian Hives. I stopped counting at 18 and the last one I picked up was this one. They had killed the BB and deposited it below the hive. Look what was attached to one of the legs....permanetly

Today I went up to go peruse again and saw this....she lost this battle. Nature SURE is amazing.....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good pics, I need a better camera....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
913 Posts
That bug that got your bee is a robber fly. They're very cool to watch if they land. Their heads are almost as flexible as a praying mantis, so just the head swivels around looking for prey. They actually eat a lot of harmful insects, although bees are also on the menu, not so good. But very cool. Nice pics.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"...noticed a TON of bumblees below the Russian Hives."

Is it possible that the BBs have built a nest under the hive? Some hive stands are only a few inches off the ground.

"Good pics, I need a better camera....:thumbsup: "

Ditto.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"...noticed a TON of bumblees below the Russian Hives."

Is it possible that the BBs have built a nest under the hive? Some hive stands are only a few inches off the ground.

"Good pics, I need a better camera....:thumbsup: "

Ditto.
No, not possible. The hives are about 15 inchess off the ground and are on 1x6's at 14 inches apart. Its wide open. They just like to assault those hives on the right. I had one satcked on top of another facing the woods until they were strong enough to get out of the Nuc, and they had killed 5-10 on their landing board too before i moved them into the new diggs.the bb's are just not smart and wont leave them alone. They are managing tho'

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Nice Pics, That Robber Fly could ruin a Queens honeymoon. I have some very large Dragon Flies That I have concerns about.
I guessing that set of BB genes won't be n the pool much longer:D
Rick SoMd

Mark:) I thought i was the one making people made:D:D Very familiar with Fisher Road

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a lot of Daddy Long Leg spiders that lurk around my hives. They don't bother the live bees and the bees don't bother them, but it's a race when there's dead bees around. The DLLs hightail it out of there with their prize in hand.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just came back from checking a Russian Hive with now 2 queens and funny enough, now the YJ's are eating the dead and rejected. Nature is a wonder for sure....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts