Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for good and bad. Oh well, there is tomorrow, I hope.

Got a call for a cutout yesterday. Old, dilapidated farm house about to be burned down but the owner has bees in the wall. Do I want to see about getting them, well sure. (At this point, I'm thinking that I'm really not ready for this but how else am I going to learn if I don't try.)

The wife and I get out there this afternoon and start in. Sure enough, there are bees. Seems like they honey bound themselves in an area they could not build out anymore. Some new bees have shown up on another side of the house since yesterday, so I'm thinking probably a swarm from this bunch in my face. OK. Pulled about two 5 gal. buckets of honey in the comb out and maybe two frames of capped brood. Left with one deep filled with most of the brood and some honeycomb and left another deep on site with the rest of the brood and plenty of honey droppings. Will go pick them up tomorrow before the owner leaves the area. No access without the owner present so the other side of the house will have to wait for another time just before they burn the house. Pull into home feeling pretty good. Did not see the queen while doing the cutout, but I wasn't surprised by that either. While my wife headed to the house for a shower and fix dinner, I took the new additions up the the bee spot. While goofing off (ummm, working hard, that is) I noticed that my little hive that has been real slow to build up (cold snap this spring hurt them hard) is not really doing anything. Better have a look.

Bad. Just bad. Wax moths have overtaken it. I have been on a storm damage clean-up at a rental property for two weeks and was not around. Got some major work ahead for me and the girls.

So for the "new to the bee world" folks, some days are like this. One step forward, two back. See sig line below, I am that good. :cry:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
put'em in a nuc box or use a "follower" board in your deep and reduce'em to brood comb and 1-2 frames foundation. take out the honeycomb,(too much surface area to guard against moths), and use an inner feeder. if you can only inspect every 2 weeks, that puts you at a big disadvantage.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
507 Posts

Man, sorry to hear your home hive being hit with wax moths. However, congratulations on doing and awesome job on the cutout. You will really enjoy the honey from that hive. I hope you took some pics and can post them up.

I agree, reduce the size of the hive your bees have to defend. Maybe you can share some frames of capped brood later from this cutout and help them gain more numbers.

Good luck.

Keep your chin up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
oh I love your signature line! I understand...my life feels like that a lot too. :) I had a hive get taken over by wax moths last year, it was a real mess!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts