Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a warning up front here...if you don't want to get grossed out, if you want to eat honey in the future, you may not want to read any further...

Ok, so I'm new to beekeeping, don't have any bees yet, but will soon. But I've made a point of trying to observe the wild bees in the area...I live out in the country. Anyway, the other day I was sitting outside enjoying the nice spring weather, drinking a couple of beers...out in the country when nature calls a lot of us just find the nearest bush. So I peed at the base of this bush and returned to my lawn chair...awhile later I had to go again and returned to the same bush and was surprised to find several bees buzzing around where the urine had soaked into some leaves on the ground. There are several other water sources nearby (creek, pond, puddles), so I don't think the bees were just thirsty.

Question is, can/do/will bees make honey out of urine? Why else would they be interested in it? Has anybody else seen anything like this before?

Urine is supposed to be sterile, and I've heard people refer to honey as "bee vomit," and certainly if bees are working clover in a cow pasture they are going to come in contact with cow plops and other things people wouldn't want their food to come in contact with. So I'm thinking this isn't something that needs to be worried over too much, I am more curious about it than anything...I had just never really thought about how clean honey was before. Can I assume that whatever process the bees use in digesting and making the honey would sterilize any nasty stuff they might come in contact with?

·
Registered
44 Posts
a) What are you infected with that makes your urine so nasty ?

b) You can call it "bee vomit." Strictly speaking, since yeast consume sugars to produce alcohol as a metabolic byproduct/waste, you could call (it's a stretch), beer/wine/spirits = "yeast piss."

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bronk that's an amusing story. I have seen bees drinking from stale nasty water sources before but not pee. I would say they are after the salt. I've also had wasps/bees really go after my beer can right in my hand, the little lushes. Anyway rest assured that honey is almost sterile. Bees are antiseptically clean. By the time the nectar or water is processed through them it is perfectly clean except for any man-made contaminants. Now that you do have to worry about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts