Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Darned if I know what, but something did!

I've been watching the girls fly since this warm spell started, and as late as yesterday I saw only an occasional bit of ugly gray pollen coming in. Not a lot of it per bee, and only every 10-15th bee had any at all. Then just went out during my lunch break today (its 75 out there, with storms last night, so my woods are alive with frogs chirping, its quite nice out really) and dang. Every single bee coming in had two pollen baskets of butter yellow pollen, each bigger than it's head.

Based on the Wiki Pollen Source Page I'm guessing the maples just bloomed (definitely don't think we've got enough apples around here for that), but whatever it is, its amazing to see the spigot just turn on overnight.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This is some good news!
I am a bit North and East of you, but have been watching my bees bring back nothing since it has warmed up enough in the last several days to fly.
Been looking for some pollen reports.
I was excited to hear the Spring Peepers calling last night too.
God, I love Spring!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm about 2 hrs south of you. For the past week or so they've be brining in a little "butter". Yesterday it picked up quite a bit. Today 9 out of 10 are loaded down. Many are crash landing, falling to the ground, taking a breather and making it in on the second attempt.
I think it red maple down here.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1508116_10152261009802065_103027136_n.jpg

I took this this morning. Mine have also been bringing in the ugly grey stuff, and I recently read in another thread somewhere that it's American Elm. I'm just glad there's a pollen source for them this early--good for brood buildup and it gives them something to do other than rob each other out! :no:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm jealous. I'm down near Nashville for the day working. It's beautiful weather down here. Driving back to michigan tonight and wish I could take the weather with me

·
Registered
440 Posts
While I still have a way to go before I see pollen coming in (got another 10"+ of snow yesterday!), willow is an early bloomer here and has bright yellow pollen.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here in Thomasville NC, I've watched my girls bringing in yellow pollen which in my area Willows are in bloom, another guy saw his in another town saw his bringing in green which is silver or red Maple

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It's sure been nice out. I haven't seen any pollen yet, but I did quick inspections of a cross section of my hives yesterday, and all that I checked have brood coming along . One hive I thought was weak based on entrance activity had 4 patches the size of my hand. I guess they were busy baby sitting instead of flying about. It won't be long now. No losses so far.

Edit - I take it back. Some dirty tan pollen coming in...

Or it could actually be dirt. Anyway - the New World carnis from honey run apiary seem to be on it.

Sorry for the blurry picture from my Iphone.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
yellow and orange pollen here last two days. Same as in December january, from who knows what. Dead head flowers I guess, maybe they are getting into a greenhouse...who knows.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm about an hour South of Jackson Mississippi and I've been seeing yellow and grey pollen now for 2 weeks. Its in the high 70's here this week and they are bringing it in by the truck loads. I did a deep look see yesterday and found over half of the broodchamber had capped brood, with drone brood capped too and quiet a few drones milling about in the hive. It looks great here. They are off and running.

I feel very lucky both my hives made it thru the winter healthy and strong.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Our Maples are winding down but, something else has started this week they are now bringing in some brighter orange pollen in earnest this week. I could smell a little honey yesterday evening when I walked through the yard.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Edymnion,

Congratulations on the girls already collecting pollen this season. However, it looks like my girls may not be working for a while. It looks like the only thing that may be blooming for a while around here may be a snow lily.:) It seems that the next four or five nights in this area will have temperatures in single digits. - memtb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts