Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a trap-out recently and went back today to add the screen funnel. Last Saturday I left a Nuc box with 5 fully drawn frames up against the tree. Today, Wednesday, I went back and someone, not the owner, had used "Great Stuff" on and in my box, and on my frames and all around the tree. I removed all the foam and there are a few bees coming out of the tree, but why would someone do this? The hive has been there for years. The owners want to sell so they wanted the hive moved. I'm supposed to meet the sherriff there on Saturday. I called my local bee supplier and they said the box, frames, plasticomb and fully drawn comb are worth about $135 and the bees would have been worth about $185. I am so disappointed. This hive was so gentle. Does this hive have a chance?

1.jpg The hive as I left it Saturday. 2.JPG The hive as I found it today. 3.JPG After I cleaned the foam away.

I do not understand why the pictures are sideways..can anyone help?

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's really sad, people are idiots. Might as well keep the trap out stuff there to see if you can collect any more.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
That is really horrible. Is there any activity? If not, look higher in the tree for another entrance. J

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Trap out without the funnel? I realize you were going to, but...Did they spray in the tree, if not pretty sure they are still alive? If not the homeowners, than who else has access to their property? I don’t think you can count the value of the bees quite yet:D, equipment for sure.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I started a trap-out recently and went back today to add the screen funnel. Last Saturday I left a Nuc box with 5 fully drawn frames up against the tree. Today, Wednesday, I went back and someone, not the owner, had used "Great Stuff" on and in my box, and on my frames and all around the tree. I removed all the foam and there are a few bees coming out of the tree, but why would someone do this? The hive has been there for years. The owners want to sell so they wanted the hive moved. I'm supposed to meet the sherriff there on Saturday. I called my local bee supplier and they said the box, frames, plasticomb and fully drawn comb are worth about $135 and the bees would have been worth about $185. I am so disappointed. This hive was so gentle. Does this hive have a chance?

View attachment 54609 The hive as I left it Saturday. View attachment 54611 The hive as I found it today. View attachment 54613 After I cleaned the foam away.

I do not understand why the pictures are sideways..can anyone help?
People are utter morons.

·
Registered
11,375 Posts
Some people have issues with bees, in fact many people cannot even tell the difference between bees and wasps.

Putting your trap there has attracted attention to the fact there are bees there.

The person probably thinks this is a permanent set up, and doesn't want it.

How about hang a sign that says this is to remove the bees, and they will be gone by X date. Then the person will not feel a need to intervene.

Also, it has to be someone local. A game camera could solve the mystery if they return.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Game cameras definitely work for catching idiots !

A couple of things though: Make sure when you place the camera that you do one or all of these things:

1.) Hide it well enough not to be found.... (or you will be out a camera as well) If it is discovered, they will take it for sure because they know they are busted !

2.) Put it up HIGH with a ladder, so it cannot easily be seen and stolen. People seldomly look "up" carefully, just like deer. (I have a few on the wall that would verify that fact) Not many people go around everywhere with a ladder in tow.....BUT.....the right idiot might go get one if they find the camera.

3.) If the location is one that is likely accessed by a vehicle.....truck, car, ATV, etc., then place your camera along the path to the scene. There is less chance of them noticimg it when they are on the move. This, however is not proof of them destroying your stuff, but would give you the satisfaction of knowing who visited the site.

4.) Sometimes you can hide a camera in an ordinary object that is already there, (like a hollow log) and that works pretty stealthily. (I have a tall, vertical "phone box" like sits along the road with a camera in it, that NO ONE would even think that it contains a camera) I had to cut holes in it for the camera, but it is an excellent hiding place.

Maybe some of this stuff is stating the obvious, but just trying to help. If what happened to you, happened to me, I would be on a mission !

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Is there any activity? If not, look higher in the tree for another entrance. J
Surely the bees found another way in & out, or although it is desperate (& I have seen) they will begin to chew there way out from the insulation, if it was inserted in the tree..

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
i wonder what kind of ******* thinks its ok to go onto private property, and intentionally damage other people's stuff and that doesnt even touch on the kind of moral fiber it takes to seal living creatures into a cavity with spray foam. Hopefully the bees find an alternate way out but that idiot obviously thought that his/her actions would kill this hive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put the box out Saturday and went add the trap out cone Wednesday. The foam was quite dry so I figure they were closed in for 2-3 days. There were A LOT of dead bees at the entrance. I think the fumes from the foam were pretty toxic, but after I reopened the hole, there were 10-15 bees flying around the entrance. I'm going back tomorrow to meet a sheriff's deputy there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts