Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of the hive that I posted about seeming like they were superseding or swarming. I pulled the old queen out and a few frames of eggs/brood and made a new hive; I left this hive to fend for themselves. The cell at the bottom of the frame was open last week with a larva in it and the cell at the top of the frame I think was only a cup but I can't recall totally. Anyway, seems I'll have a new queen shortly from the bottom cell.

Bottom of the frame:

Top of the frame:

Frame tilted with larva:

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
The cell at the top is not just a cup anymore. It is a queen cell that will soon be capped. A cup is just the very base (top) of the cell, a cup, without being drawn out (down) any. Yes, you'll have a queen in there soon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically, because I didn't know what I was doing. LOL This colony seemed to be building up quick and had built out the second deep and I saw the cells when they were queen cups and since a few were at the bottom of the frames, I thought they might swarm.

I have no mentor close by, so It's pretty much "on the job training" for me.

-Dale

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'll bet things work out regardless in both hives. Possibly averted a swarm, but maybe superseding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts