Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are going to do business on the internet then you need to stay on top of things. I ordered some entrance disks, price was the best I could find, on this particualar site you have to wait for a shipping price thru email and only when you accept do they process your order. I am ok with that. Howver waiting two days for shipping email, and then finding out they want almost as much to ship as it cost to purchase in the first place I found a little annoying, 10 entrance disks could be put in a padded envelope pretty easy but I guess not everybody looks for the cheapest shipping option.
A week later my account still showed as processing, I emailed them and they informed me they are currently out of stock and waiting on a shipment, guess I can cancel this order as I dont need them that bad.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i have noticed that some of the bee supply places with the lowest prices have the highest shipping. i have found that choosing a place with regular prices is usually cheaper in the long run. at least when they have honest and fast shipping you know what to expect. i have been really pleased with mann lake.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be happy to buy locally if they stocked them but the local place does not. I went ahead and cancelled the order and will just not use entrance discs.
If you go into a store and ask to purchase something they tell you if it is not in stock, online stores really should be no different, especially if you are sending out a confirmation email anyway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't know what your buying but as far as shipping costs go, I know i charge what the shipper charges. Not much we can do about that.
If its a small item and doesn't weigh much, depends on what you get in your shipping too. Like priority mail. it gets to you faster but you pay a higher shipping.

Its true that it can cost just as much to ship it as the purchase price. Like hive bodies. I priced a order for 6 hives, the shipping was 197.00 and the purchase price was almost 300 dollars. Thats because of the weight and dimension. Tried all possible combinations of dimensions and weight and came up with 2 boxes to ship all the parts for all the hives was the cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I agree with the shipping charge issue. A supply house once tried to charge me $12.50ish to ship a dozen small lids that could have been shipped via the post office for less then five bucks.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I use a commercial shipper for my e-bay stuff. The nice lady in charge can pull up multiple shippers from the P.O to FedEx to UPS. My goal is to give my buyers the best shipping rate and price. You would be surprised how much the price will vary between shippers, and it really varies depending on how fast you want to receive it. Other things like tracking codes and delivery confirmation add to the cost. Commercial deliveries are a whole lot cheaper than residential.

There are a lot of variables they don't tell you about. My hunch is a lot of these supply houses use the method of greatest convenience rather than best deal for the customer.

And as a P.S., I've learned to never, never trust e-bay to calculate your shipping charges for your buyer. I've taken it in the backside everytime e-bay figures the shipping.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes there are two prices that shippers charge, commercial accounts get quite a bit of difference in shipping rates.
It is good if you do a lot of shipping to have them come by for the additional charge every week. But if your an occasional shipper, it might be cheaper to go with the drop em off or have them stop by once thing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
about 80 percent can go usps for a low flat rate. up to 70 pounds. its over a half what the ups charges. Its all a scam really.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts