Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am arranging frames in the hive bodies that I will be installing soon. All the frames are drawn out. I have been cutting down the comb that was drawn out too far last year, which had limited the bee space between the frames.

What is the best way to determine how far down to trim? I just ran my serrated bread knife along the top and bottom bars. As I carefully cut, I noticed that the brood cells were way more durable to cut than the areas where honey was stored. Any thoughts why?

Some honey capped areas still need to be cut down to allow for bee space. I am planning on cutting these areas down just before I put them into the hive, to avoid a mess and a mess of bees coming to my garage. Is it okay to cut down these areas for the bees to use the honey while I have my syrup feeders on as well? Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi
I would leave some of the frames of honey in the hive for the new package. It will help them out a lot, since they wont have stores to hold them through until they can start raising brood. I did something similar to what you are doing, instead I cut a portion out of the frame. This way the bees can use the honey that they stored up (my hive is almost honey bound). It has worked so far, since they are building drone and brood cells, as well giving the new queen somewhere to lay. Hope this helps. IMG_20140419_190106.jpg

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>What is the best way to determine how far down to trim? I just ran my serrated bread knife along the top and bottom bars.

That's what I would do because it's easy...

>As I carefully cut, I noticed that the brood cells were way more durable to cut than the areas where honey was stored. Any thoughts why?

Cocoons. Brood comb has fiber reinforcement...

> Some honey capped areas still need to be cut down to allow for bee space. I am planning on cutting these areas down just before I put them into the hive, to avoid a mess and a mess of bees coming to my garage. Is it okay to cut down these areas for the bees to use the honey while I have my syrup feeders on as well?

The bees will use it all rearing brood...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts