Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short little vid of a nice hive on my in-laws property. Old farmstead house. If they survived our harsh long winter they should have pretty good survivor genetics. So I plan on leaving them alone and just catching swarms.
I put up a used deep with 4drops of LGO zipped in a sandwich baggy, 2 old brood combs and the rest foundationless. Now all I need is the local beek to drop some pinched queens in my iso and I will have the so called irresistible lure. Funny thing as I was watching the activity I saw a mouse rip around the corner up the wall and in the same hole the bees are in. I don't know if it was its normal rout or I scared it into the hole. Maybe has a different rout in the wall. I doubt the bees would tolerate such visitors.
I tried some 1:1 sugar water with a drop of LGO no interest at all.
This old house is pretty remote. I go out there to target shoot and noticed them this spring.

My catcher. I hope I don't have it too close but the trees to the south east look a little too shady (cool). The hole entrence is far bottom right just above the cement foundation.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Why don't you put it inside the house if it is open anyway to the elements?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hello Buzz:
I am doing the same thing with an old grainery that has a hive at least 9 years old, I put 4 traps on the building and 3 more around the neighborhood. I've baited with bee scent and small pieces of old comb. I want the genetics so I'm investing more resources than normal. I would put a couple just inside the trees too because full sun can deter them if it overheats your traps. I built a trap like a wall stud space that holds 10 deep frames and it is getting some action. I put 1/2" rigid foam under corrugated sign board so it doesn't get too hot because it is in direct sun half the day. Good luck and happy trapping.
Colino

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
txbeek I kindof looked around to think of a good spots a swarm would want to make home. I think inside the house would bee on the cool side. Since the hive is on the south east corner of the house they probly like the warming affect of the sun. Kind of oposite of what a TX. bee wold be looking for. Also there isnt much wind brake trees etc. protecting the area, the house is kindof it. Its actually starting to lean south from our nothern prevailing wind. I will probly put up a few more nuc traps just to give them some options.

Colino there are some good size trees just to the south of the house but Im thinking once the leavs come out it will be pretty shaded. I would put money on a swarm landing in those trees, but again it might be a little cool being shaded. I will throw up a nuc there though.
It might be just the right spot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts