Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For A newbee.... what type of frame should I get...

Should I get the Solid bottom type frames or the Divided bottom's.. that will go in the brood box. (deep)

Also with foundation that is pre-wired with hooks... do you have to string the other wire and use the inbedding tool on it....??

Thank you
Steve C

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome Steve. Good questions. Think you'll find the divided bottom bars will work best when you encounter those long wires that all foundations seem to have. If it goes through the divide, the sheet will not bow. I have used pins through the holes in the end bars for years and they work well for me and seem to give the foundation plenty support until they secure it otherwise. Its faster and cheaper. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Should I get the Solid bottom type frames or the Divided bottom's.. that will go in the brood box. (deep)

First, you should get all mediums and medium boxes.

But since you've already decided on deeps...

The issue is what kind of foundation are you going to use. If you intend to do the embossed plastic you'll need grooved top and bottom. If you intend to do wax, depending on the dimensions of the foundation you buy, you may need the split bottom or the grooved bottom.

>Also with foundation that is pre-wired with hooks... do you have to string the other wire and use the inbedding tool on it....??

If it's prewired, I would buy the cleats and split bottom bars and I would not add any other wires.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hanginin....
Thank you.... yes I plan to lurk here and post.... ;)

Michael.... Yes I am going with wax on the deep's....
I just bought pre-wired foundation and split bottom frames.... The only thing that I plan on doing later is going to 4.9mm cell.

Just don't know when to start the regression to SC... ????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts