Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good photos or diagrams of a solar wax melter design that allows you to easily separate the wax from the burnt honey? Or better yet, something that does it automatically simply by design?

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I remove the pan in the morning, place a bucket in a deep sink, stand the pan on end, and let the honey drain out into the bucket from under the honey loaf, the loaf of wax stays stuck in the pan. I have two matching pans so that one can be drainng while the other one is in the melter. Good luck on that automatic design, sounds like a tough one to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Better Way wax melter is designed to be able to separate the honey from the wax, but I don't remember what the drain portion of it looks like in design.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Hot water is much simplier if you have old pot handy and don't want to save the honey. I put the cappings in a mesh strainer and let them sit over night in a hot car. Then wash the cappings in a bucket and air dry. Once I get enough cappings stored I melt in hot water and strain to remove any debri.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Take your wife's crock pot get some of those bag liners. Put liner in. Put in water. Add wax. Turn on. Will take about 45 minutes to an hour but it'll melt the wax which will float on top of the water. Most of the trash will sink to the bottom. What doesn't sink to the bottom of the pot will be on the bottom of the wax. You can scrape it off with your hive tool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts