Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, y'all,

this is a two parter.

I was thinking of converting an old fish tank into a solar wax melter. Opinions? Experience?

Also, it is even worth it to try to melt down old brood comb?? I attempted that the other night with a double boiler scenario and the result was a big mess and a few drops of wax.

Heart,
Thomas

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I was thinking of converting an old fish tank into a solar wax melter. Opinions? Experience?
Depends on the fish tank. You'll need to insulate it. The heat may be a problem for the adhesive that glues the tank together and seals it.

Also, it is even worth it to try to melt down old brood comb??
Do you need the wax? The answer to that question is the answer to your question.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
It will probably work. Anything that collects the sunlight and holds heat will work to some extent. Old comb is hard to get wax from but not impossible. I toss my old comb in the melter and take what I get. It's virtually no effort or expense so I figure I come out ahead.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
As said above, old brood comb makes a better outside fire starter than wax producer. Get what wax you can out of it, then roll the remaining slum gum tight in newspaper and give it to someone as a fire starter.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Eikel, I had no idea you could use it for a firestarter!

As said above, old brood comb makes a better outside fire starter than wax producer. Get what wax you can out of it, then roll the remaining slum gum tight in newspaper and give it to someone as a fire starter.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your feedback J!
Depends on the fish tank. You'll need to insulate it. The heat may be a problem for the adhesive that glues the tank together and seals it.

Do you need the wax? The answer to that question is the answer to your question.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback Ravenseye.
I like the idea of no effort. The double boiler, trying to mash old brood comb down, frankly it was disgusting.

It will probably work. Anything that collects the sunlight and holds heat will work to some extent. Old comb is hard to get wax from but not impossible. I toss my old comb in the melter and take what I get. It's virtually no effort or expense so I figure I come out ahead.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Smell of old brood combs in a double boiler turns my stomach, totally not worth it. However in a solar melter I would def say give it a go and get what you can stuff is valuable.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You're welcome. My son in law takes every bit of slumgum and filter material (aka paper towels) I pull out of the solar melter. He swears it will start a fire quick even with wet wood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts