Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I use solar with 12v battery(small). It puts out 5,000 volts. These are supplied from WDACP(gov) and they feel that is strong enough. If that doesn't stop a persistant bear then they supply a larger energizer. I've had 1 bear go through the 5,000 v but the fence wasn't baited and it got stuck in it, knocking over hives as he tried to flee. It never returned to do damage but was caught on trail cameras not to far from the bees.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the solar chargers available from Lowes (Home Depot? I forget which.) It's a 12v battery and my wires are charged at (measured) 5500+ (peaked out the meter). A little black bear walked right through my unbaited fence, last year. Lines were down. Only one hive slightly shifted, though. I think the bear stepped on a line once it got inside. Never had bear trouble again, last year, but the police shot that bear when it entered a house about two blocks from me so I don't know if the fence actually proved a deterrent.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just installed a fence this year and it seemed to work quite well. From speaking with people I have heard your not nescessarily looking for voltage but joules. I currently run the Patriot P20 which runs off a 12v deep cycle marine battery which I have cased in a tote and bring into my garage on 1 weekend day a month to charge. I would highly recommend putting a high tension system in from the get go (dont get the step in posts). Keep in mind that your fence should be designed for predators, so even though they are designed for horses and cows it doesn't nescessarily mean bear. While solar is nice (actually my first route) most are around .2-.5 joule, far below the 2.0 or 3.0 you could have for pretty much the same price. If your anticipating a problem, in my opinion I'd go on the bigger side as the cost is not much more or even less in some cases.

·
Registered
323 Posts
my understanding is to bait a fence so the bear feels it , the hair will stop it from getting much on the skin ,, so the mouth is what your shooting for ,,.. TURN OFF THE FENCE POWER ,,,,, put peanut butter on some tin foil ,, fold it over the wire ,, you can tie
bacon on ,,, meat fat on the foil ,, but the draw back is you will atract other things like dogs ,,,, I would only use bacon if a bear has been there last night . and then I would wrap it tight on the wire so it bites the wire real good .. but thats up to you
now that the bait is on be sure to TURN THE FENCE POWER BACK ON .....

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Eat a can of sardines and use the can with the left over oil/juice left for the bait. Hang this off your hot wire.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Get the most powerfull fencer you can get, put at least 4 heavy wires up on good posts steel or wood,have a good ground and forget about baiting. I'm in heavy bear country in the woods by a river. Bear here from spring to fall, see them all the time. If the fencer is on my bees are safe.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Ground system
You need to have a very good ground sytem.
I used a 3' wide checken wire mat for a 2nd ground .It really worked!
I got the information about the layout plans from The ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping..
Ernie

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ground system
You need to have a very good ground sytem.
I used a 3' wide checken wire mat for a 2nd ground .It really worked!
I got the information about the layout plans from The ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping..
Ernie
If your soil is very dry by all means put the chicken wire down and the shock will put the bear down!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts