Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black bears have been spotted a mile of my place. Thought that I would put up a solar fence. I was told to get a charger 4000 volt and up. Any good ideas out there where and what to get.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Re: Solar fence sharger for bears

I'm not sure of the brand, but you can find pretty good ones at the Tractor Supply stores. One major thing to remember is the length of wire that you'll be using. They state it as 1 mile, 5, 10, on the chargers. The way to know that you've sized properly is that you take the total lenght of your wire, multiply by number of strands, if using solid pig wire i'd go with the larger size.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts

Andrew has it spot on. When it comes to bear, you need one that is rater for at least double the distance you will be charging. In comparison to the cost Monetarily as well as psychological the cost of a quality fencer is nothing. In Pa we use fence Chargers, But I guess a sharger would work too :lpf:

·
Registered
82 Posts

Mine isn't a solar but I have a bulldozer fencer on mine. I have one rated for 20 miles on about 20 ft of fence :)

·
Registered
6 Posts

Highest one you can afford, tell the dealer you want it for predators. We use a plug-in model that runs an insulated cable underground from the house to the fence. It has a flashing light to let us know it is working (sweetheart, did you turn the fence back on?). We also have a solar backup (currently on loan). Consider a finer mesh fence if you've got skunks (check out Premier One supplies). We fence our whole garden to include chickens and bees; outer fence of single strand for bears & deer, inner mesh for skunks, racoon, etc. THe outer fence has 3 hot wires each within 3" of a ground wire (bridge the gap, and wow).

·
Registered
5,400 Posts

Stick with the parmak 12 , works great and don't forget to hang bacon or peanut butter on the fence , you want them to get zapped on the nose or tongue otherwise they will get through it.The cattle panels work very well , here is a link.

http://www.kencove.com/fence/135_Bear+Fence+-+Apiary+Fence_resource.php
I do not like to bait the bear to the fence. In Most cases this theory will work, however if for some reason the fences fails to get the bear, then you have successfully attracted a bear to your apiary.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

Parmak Magnum 12 - pricey but works well.
Exactly correct. While we don't have bears, we do raise cattle. We keep our own heifers as replacement stock. If a Parmak 12 will keep a bull out of the heifer pen when 20 of them are in heat, I bet it will keep a bear out of bee hives. We have 2 of those chargers and the oldest one is 10 years old and still going strong.

If you have access to AC power, get a Zareba 100 mile AC low impedence charger. We use it on our main fence. If my wife put one of these on our refrigerator, it would keep me out of it and I would starve to death...... http://www.zarebasystems.com/store/electric-fence-chargers/eac100m-z

No DC charger will be as strong as an AC charger.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts

I've been told "bait the fence" and "never bait the fence".

One bit of wisdom here, somewhere, was to forget the miles of fence rating and look at the joules, the amount of energy delivered per zap. The recommendation was to get a minimum of 2 joules. I checked a couple of places including Tractor Supply and could not find a solar charger that delivers more than a fraction of a joule. I would up with a 3 joule line-powered charger, for which I will need to run power from the house, and that's probably a non-starter for 9 out of 10 apiaries.

3 joules at a pulse rate of one pulse every 1.4 seconds is 2.1 watts. But to power it with solar, I figure 4 hours of charging per 24 hours, and it must be able to handle one sunny day in 3. That means the solar charger needs to put out, in round numbers, 40 watts. That's a larger solar panel than you see on most fence chargers. You could put your own panel and battery charger on a 12 V battery ... many fence chargers are intended for a 12 V battery and you figure out how to charge it.

The most recent person to say "never bait the fence" reported on one of her fences at a recent bee club meeting. She reports piles of bear droppings about one bear length from her fence. A good fence charger DOES get their attention!

·
Registered
6 Posts

a reason to bait the fence is to get the animal (bear or deer) to bridge the gap w sensitive tissue - nose or tongue - vs a calloused paw or thick fur. I don't bait but use pairs of hot & ground wires, the charge gets concentrated - or so goes the theory.

The meters used to test fences go to 7 or 8,000 volts. The charges generated have high voltage but low aperage - Amps kill - so low overall wattage.

I've witnessed bears tangle with the fence and they work. I have tangled with the fence, and they work.

Remember the first rule of electric fence maintenance - TURN OFF THE POWER.

·
Registered
983 Posts

Parmak Sp12 all the way.

Fences are a deterant not a barrier. I have two SP12's and I have been very impressed with them. In the 5 years of keeping bees in various locations I have not had any bear issues. Bears have visited the yards but have been sent on thier way.

The 3.1 joule is the key. Its the power behind the shock. My fence tests between 8,600 and 9,300 volts depending on soil moisture.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts

My fence features grounded concrete reinforcing mesh as the physical barrier ... this is used locally in bear-resistant garbage cages, and I've seen it used as tiger enclosure fencing. Outside that are four runs of high visibility fence tape. The 3 joule charger peaks at 7.5 kV. It will throw a loud and bright 1/4" spark, visible in full daylight. I will willingly expose myself to the jolt from a smaller charger we've used for years, probably around 0.1 joules. The apiary charger, no. The 3 joule charge against a grounded fence is rated to seriously hurt.

My idea was that any bear attempting to get to the bees must come in contact with the remesh, which should be sufficient by itself. But if they keep messing with it they're bound to hit the charged tape, and which point the strong negative reinforcement should not take many repeats before they quit. One hit on the nose or mouth would also certainly be painful.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts

let me see if I can help. It would take a ten page letter to explain all of the factors which make an electric shock effective. The joule does not measure the effectiveness of electric shock. The joule is a mathematical equation of Voltage x Amps x Time. The longer the" on-time" of the pulse, the higher the joule rating will be and the longer the "on-time" the less safe the fencer is to use and the less effective. The joule is not the correct way to measure the performance of any electric fence charger because the joule does not consider peak current value or "on-time" which are key factors in the effectiveness of a fencer, therefore, the joule cannot define true shock effectiveness or fencers safety. What controls livestock is voltage and amperage. You must have voltage in order to force electricity through the conductor (fence wire) as well as vegetation touching the fence, etc., and you must have current in order for the livestock to feel that shock. Joules or heat has nothing to do with it. The most effective fence charger will have the highest power (voltage and amps) possible in the shortest on-time possible, thereby allowing the fence charger to develop a sharp spike which is far more effective in controlling livestock and at the same time is safe to use. Example of how misleading the Joule rating is: The Parmak Pet Gard (model PG-50) is a continuous current, non-pulsing type charger designed for small animals in backyarcts, gardens, etc. Using the joule rating (Voltage x Amps x Time) the Pet Gard would have an unlimited joule rating making it the most powerful fencer, which it is not. In summary, it is important to point out that Underwriters Laboratories (U/L) or Canadian Standard Assoc., (CSA) do not recognize the joule as a measurement when applied to
fence charge efficiency.

as far as baiting goes I posted my theories above, Now please allow me to elaborate with a situation that occurred last winter.

We had a big bear in the 250 pound range working the woods behind my house. he , she , it was videoed. and seem on numerous occasions throughout a very rough winter. I personally have 30 plus trail cam pictures of the bruin at less than 600 feet from my apiary, which contained 11 large hives. The fellow who own a camp on the other side of the block of woods less than 1/2 mile from me smoked some deer bologna in December. By mid January he discovered the bear had torn his shed apart to get to the smoker which had an attractive smell. I never baited the bear to my electric fence in an attempt to teach him the fence bit. I just armed it and hoped all went well. The bear never visited my apiary, and I survived the winter with all hives in tact. Now I must concede that it may have been luck. but I am a firm believer in not tempting fate.
In the end everyone must, or at least should do what they feel is best.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts

I do not like to bait the bear to the fence. In Most cases this theory will work, however if for some reason the fences fails to get the bear, then you have successfully attracted a bear to your apiary.
Bait the fence before you put your hives in.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts

Tenbears, that's a little like saying muzzle energy of a firearm is not important.

Most fence chargers use nearly instantaneous capacitive discharge to deliver a shock every second or two. For such a design, peak voltage and the joule rating is great way to rate the punch they deliver. Implicit in this is a delivery of a brief high current which, if sustained, would be dangerous. Rating such a system in joules is not misleading at all. Since voltage, current, time, and energy are all tied together mathematically, and since the requirement is to apply a voltage for a very short pulse, joules is the logical way to rate them.

Energy storage in a capacitor is (V^2 C)/2, half the voltage squared times the capacitance. I used this to design my capacitive discharge welder, and that's just what they've done for fence chargers ... rate the energy stored in a capacitor used to deliver the jolt.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts

Bait the fence before you put your hives in.
So when do you place the hives in. And how long do you wait to determine that the bait was taken by a bear and not a crow. And lets suppose the wind, a crow or what ever knocks the bacon off and it lands 2 feet inside the fence, then the bear attempting to get the bacon gets his head well in between the fence wires before getting shocked. The resulting shock sends him forward rather than backward. Now at best you have taught a bear that if he charges the fence he can mow it down, ground it out, and get what he wants. At worst you have a bear inside the fence scared to get out.. Again I ask Why tempt fate?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts

Tenbears, that's a little like saying muzzle energy of a firearm is not important.

No it is not. Muzzle energy is a absolute calculation which will result in the same results in terms of foot pounds of energy.

The jewel rating does not reflect accurately the detouring value of an electric shock. suppose
50,000 volts at 1A for 1 MS delivers quite a shock equivalent to that of an automotive ignition coil
and would = .5 joules
1 volt at .1A for 500 seconds would also = .5 joules I do not know about you but even at nearly 70 I could hold that wire all day without having a heart attack.
And therein lies the problem with joule measurements as a means of measuring fencer performance. Now I can whip up a whole passel of 10 joule 1 volt fencers if you would be willing to buy them. Ya! just think of it, you can buy them from me for say $150.00 each, and then sell them for $250.00 and get rich. Wait, Wait we can Increase the on time to 10 hours which will rate them at like a bazillion joules and sell them for $500.00 no! $1000.00 each and clean up! The Mega joule fencer, coming soon. I'll start on it upon your paid deposit.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts

So when do you place the hives in. And how long do you wait to determine that the bait was taken by a bear and not a crow. And lets suppose the wind, a crow or what ever knocks the bacon off and it lands 2 feet inside the fence, then the bear attempting to get the bacon gets his head well in between the fence wires before getting shocked. The resulting shock sends him forward rather than backward. Now at best you have taught a bear that if he charges the fence he can mow it down, ground it out, and get what he wants. At worst you have a bear inside the fence scared to get out.. Again I ask Why tempt fate?
I have a local beekeeping friend that belongs to the Southern Tier Beekeeping club; they advocate baiting the fence by hanging sardine cans. Me, I figure that the bear would get in if he wants to, so I do a lot of praying...:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts