Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking forward to getting started in beekeeping here in southern California.
I've ordered a few books and will be studying and building/buying equipment during the near future and would love to spend some time with anyone in the area near Anza willing to share their time and knowledge.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
welcome,
You can do it.
If you're not ready to start this spring you can always wait till next year. Or maybe buy a nuc or small hive from someone in early summer.

Good luck,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the welcome.
We are hoping to get started this spring if we can get put together and educated in time.
I've just been looking at beginner kits from several suppliers. At $140 I'm thinking about placing an order and then building some additional hives.

From a quick google, I've found a link to the BASC. Also a club in San Diego county. BASC will probably be too far to attend their meetings, Still need to research the San Diego club.

There are several apiaries in the area and on the drive toward Temecula. If I happen to see someone working them while I'm out, I'll stop and introduce myself. Missed a chance a few days ago by Vail lake, but had appointments to make.

Any thoughts on beginner kits from Dadant?
Also considering swarm lures and/or trapping. We've seen swarms here locally every year. Is this a viable source for bees?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Isn't there a mann lake close enough for you to drive too?
There are other supplier down south also.
The shipping cost on the heavy woodware is a killer.

In the Dadant beginners kits there are some items you might not want.
solid bottom board
hive stand
leather gloves
small smoker
entrance feeder
plastic queen excluder
hood without jacket

You'd probably be better off buying the items separately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BHF
The closest Mann Lake I found on their website was Woodland.
Bakersfield is a lot closer than Dadant in Fresno.
Been searching the web for beekeeping supplies and am finding nothing close. I'm sure there has to be something, but I'm not finding anything so far.

Dan,
I appreciate the info on the kit.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a link to Pierco in Mira Loma on Beesource. Looks like all they sell is plastic frames and foundations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the address for Mann Lake in Bakersfield.
My wife is going to take her dog to a dog show in Bakersfield this weekend, so I'll make my list and she can stop and pick the stuff up while there.
This may work out well.
Picking up unassembled parts will save as well as puckup vs. shipping.

I love it when a plan comes together.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hardware: Los Angeles Honey Co. Real nice people. 323-264-2383 Miller Honey co in Colton at one time had hardware. Contact Glen Apiary in Fallbrook. A premier queen producer. Also real nice folks. Tom and Sukie They probably could put you in contact with a local beek and a 4 frame nuc. There are tons of beeks in your area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the info.
I'll give them a call.
I knew there were plenty of set ups around, saw a person working one last week, but didn't have a chance to stop.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey pioneersnt,
I am in Littlerock Ca I purchase my equipment from LA Honey Company. A lot closer that Bakersfield. I am at 3,000 ft in the high desert. Finding it a little rough but have been doing it on my own, pretty much just working with this awesome website you have already found. Reading books and looking on line. I am in my second year with my second two hives. I feel that beekeeping is very locale specific. If you think I can help just private message me we can chat. All in all its a blast!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts