Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The main problem is, people are very good problem solvers. Sure, you can put GPS tracking or Cell tracking in. But I'm betting you can rig easy detectors for cell and gps signal detecting, pretty soon all those pallets get left behind. You can try securing pallets or hives better, but a 18v grinder will take care of most of that in seconds. The best deterrent is getting good pictures and identifying the equipment used in the theft and being able to track the scum down.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just spitballing here but how about this.

A length of cable, 1/2" - 3/4", with a loop crimped on each end. Drill a hole in the three pallet stringers, centered. Thread the cable through as many pallets as length allows. Padlocks through the loops. Ties several pallets together.
Again it won't stop the truly criminally bent but it is a somewhat quick fix.

·
Registered
318 Posts
BTW, as a former army engineer booby trapping has always been fun to me. If legal issues weren't a concern punji pits and C4 would be very useful.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
The main problem is, people are very good problem solvers. Sure, you can put GPS tracking or Cell tracking in. But I'm betting you can rig easy detectors for cell and gps signal detecting, pretty soon all those pallets get left behind. You can try securing pallets or hives better, but a 18v grinder will take care of most of that in seconds. The best deterrent is getting good pictures and identifying the equipment used in the theft and being able to track the scum down.
If the Russians or Chinese were stealing our bees, yes, they could probably detect these devices. But I think they caught one of the thieves last week ... this did not appear to be someone who would be launching any moon rockets on his own, to put it mildly. I expect the people who resort to this are about at their limit driving a truck and operating a fork lift.

That said, game cameras are cheap and work really well.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Just spitballing here but how about this.

A length of cable, 1/2" - 3/4", with a loop crimped on each end. Drill a hole in the three pallet stringers, centered. Thread the cable through as many pallets as length allows. Padlocks through the loops. Ties several pallets together.
Again it won't stop the truly criminally bent but it is a somewhat quick fix.
Probably could cut it in less than a minute with a cutting disc in an angle grinder powered by an inverter.

Top end game cameras come with a cell dial out to your cell phone or email when a picture is taken. Can get a lot of nuisance pictures of grass moving, wildlife etc and cell charges add up. Also use up 12 AA batteries in less than 6 months. However, even if the thief spots and steals the camera, you at least have the pictures taken.

Almost need a chain linked compound with guard dogs and a security guard and even these are not 100% secure.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Probably could cut it in less than a minute with a cutting disc in an angle grinder powered by an inverter.

Top end game cameras come with a cell dial out to your cell phone or email when a picture is taken. Can get a lot of nuisance pictures of grass moving, wildlife etc and cell charges add up. Also use up 12 AA batteries in less than 6 months. However, even if the thief spots and steals the camera, you at least have the pictures taken.

Almost need a chain linked compound with guard dogs and a security guard and even these are not 100% secure.
I have three game cameras running on Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries, coming through their second winter. I was skeptical at first but these things really do outlast alkaline batteries by a huge margin, at least when used in electronics. I'm doing burst of three pics, no .avi clips, and no cell link.

My original cheapie camera, a Wildview, will go thru a set of C cells in two weeks. The Coverts and a LTL Acorn are much more efficient, although they will run down fast if they run too many .avi clips.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Only $48k in fines? He got off light. He said he'd been using it for 16 months or more. So let's say 16 months, 5 days a week. That's roughly 342 days. The FCC can fine $10k per day for every day in which an infraction occurs. That's 3.42 million bucks if they decide to really get nasty.

I'm building a test station for an alarm system that runs wireless. I personally don't trust wireless due to the possibility of jamming, although this one will supposedly alarm if jammed. But that means you could force someone to turn it off by causing nuisance trips.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Realizing it'd be a pain in the butt for the beek, but a $3 2x4x8 cut in half and nailed to each side of the pallet would block access from forklifts. Low tech, low cost method(maybe). Seems most thieves wouldn't spend the time with a crowbar to pull the nails. Instead they'd just go to the next set of hives...

They could just slide the forks under the pallet, but it'd be a hassle setting it on the truck.

There are no ways to make stuff theft-proof, only theft deterrents. Make them work so hard they move on.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Cost 117 with 99 a year in fees. So basically 1/4 of the fee's you get for pollination to track your hives. I like the C4 idea better.
That's if you put one on every palette, numbers will look a lot better if you put one in a single palette per drop, randomly. But now I'm curious, how much would the C4 idea cost ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Realizing it'd be a pain in the butt for the beek, but a $3 2x4x8 cut in half and nailed to each side of the pallet would block access from forklifts. Low tech, low cost method(maybe). Seems most thieves wouldn't spend the time with a crowbar to pull the nails. Instead they'd just go to the next set of hives...

They could just slide the forks under the pallet, but it'd be a hassle setting it on the truck.

There are no ways to make stuff theft-proof, only theft deterrents. Make them work so hard they move on.
This is an awesome, practical response. You could use a 3'' T25 (star head) screw. Won't pull out, and most don't keep a drill/bit with them.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
But now I'm curious, how much would the C4 idea cost ?
See that is where I was going when I thought about the cost. I found a website but, I don't know the components needed. Nore would I really go down that path.

<LINK REMOVED DUE TO ILLEGAL CONTENT>

Probably got an alphabet soup agency looking at my web history now that I went to that website. :gh:

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I WOULD DO OR CONDONE IT WAS A JOKE, Maybe not funny to some but, None the less a joke. Whole free speech kind of thing not to derail the conversation.

Now hanging would be appropriate like cattle wrestling was.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Non-bee DRONES!

What about having a team of people located nearby in charge of hourly monitoring during shifts with a drone set up with cameras. They see activity that is not expected, they call authorities and/or owner. They should be notified when owner is getting them moved.

Signs also nearby that state the hives are being monitored and theft will be pursued and prosecuted could be a deterrent.

Can drones fly at night? Can pictures be sent out?

41 - 60 of 86 Posts