Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
There are some very gentle bees around; however, I never had experience with them prior to the genetic modification of our bees by the 'experts'. How they did it, I don't know. Did they just do it by selective cross breeding until they achieved their goals, or was genetic enginnering involved? I don't know, but perhaps someone else does.
That said the bees I have today can be mistreated and handled roughly with not much danger to me, the beekeeper. Rather than fight back as my bees did for the first 30 or so years, they respond by 'crying'. Does this mean I now have Democratic bees, whereas before I had Republican bees? Hard to say, but I am in a 'blue' state.
These days I never wear bee gloves or bee suit as I used to do. I often wear a veil, but sometimes forget. I will put on a long sleeve shirt to protect me from..................the sun.
It is amazing to me the difference. Bees used to by very difficult except in the morning with good weather. Now it just doesn't matter. I can open my hives and not get jumped no matter the time or weather.
These bees are definitely not naturally selected. Man (or woman) has manipulated them. The only problem is that I am no longer willing to leave them anywhere but behind a locked gate. Funny how that works.
FYI, I do keep my bees in a major queen rearing location.

·
Registered
1 wild captured swarm.
18 Posts
New member here and absorbing all that I can even from a discussion like this one. Last Sunday was the first time that I opened and inspected my first hive of captured swarm bees. I built a swarm trap, caught bees and they seem adapted, happy and not aggressive in the least. Very well behaved. In reading this thread, I can see some of the reasons why.
It was mid day, nice and bright.
I wasn't stealing honey.
There is no dearth.
I do wear gloves, a body suit and veil. Were I to accidentally get them in a panic, I don't want to do the dash to freedom but to be protected enough to get things back together and let them simmer down.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
These bees are definitely not naturally selected. Man (or woman) has manipulated them.
The vast majority of all of our livestock and plant food sources have been genetically manipulated via artificial selection. This is not news, it is the whole goal of selective breeding programs. It has been going on for thousands of years. The grains we grow now bear little resemblance to the grains that grew 10,000 years ago.

Reactions: G3farms

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
BTW Limes can be transmitted VIA body fluid.
Actually, it can't. It cannot be transmitted through sexual contact or via breast milk. Although it has been found that the bacteria can live in stored, donated blood, there have been no documented cases of transmission by this route.

good luck hope you do not have it but if you do the sooner you get started the better.
I've been watching carefully. Symptoms typically occur within a week of infection. Even if a tick was carrying the bacteria, it takes time to transmit a sufficient quantity to cause infection and these were all removed within a very short time (minutes to an hour or so). I should be OK. But I am using a lot more 100% DEET and keeping grass around the hives mowed more frequently.

My main concern is the increase in the intensity of the reaction, and the fact that I don't know what causes it and whether it's a Good Thing or a Bad Thing. It is possible that my immune response is increased since the Covax, and that the increased reaction is due to a more enhanced response to potential infection, which would be a Good Thing, but I lack data to confirm or negate the hypothesis. It might also be a response to particular proteins or other anticoagulant components, but I don't know enough about these things to judge...time for some education...

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I have been doing a lot of bush-whacking over the years and so far have been lucky.
My bush-whacking last Sunday was the entire day (just a single cut-out I did took about 3 hours).
Ticks are all over.

It maybe one rule that I follow that helps:
  • once get home from the bush-whacking shed your clothes asap (ALL of them - no exceptions)
  • take shower asap and inspect yourself while at it

We find ticks in the house too - they are harmless when on the walls (must have fallen off me).

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
966 Posts
We find ticks in the house too - they are harmless when on the walls (must have fallen off me).
Why does being on the wall make them harmless?
Some kind of special paint or wallpaper to render them harmless?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Why does being on the wall make them harmless?
Some kind of special paint or wallpaper to render them harmless?
They don't really have a chance to jump onto someone from the wall.
People don't brush against the walls (not commonly).

·
Registered
22 Posts
My family always asked me how come this lady can work her bees without protection.

I don’t know if I should be in awe or wonder whats wrong with my bees? My Texas bees are never trust worthy enough to not use protection.

I see people on YouTube work their bees with a T-shirt and a veil but man I swear my bees know exactly where my eyes are.
If you think that's impressive, check out Richard Noel's videos, he has a lady friend in Hawaii checking colonies in shorts and a bikini top!!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
No wonder you have a tick problem!
LOL
Now that I think about it...we have some stuff that we put on the dog, that is supposed to kill any ticks that bite. In years past we would indeed find dead ticks on her every now and then, but in the last week or so we have pulled two off her that were partly inflated and not dead. So, maybe something about the ticks has changed...either that, or we got a bum lot of the dope.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
447 Posts
2 years ago ,I had a tick dug so far into the back of my knee all you could see was tiny little legs sticking out a hole. I didn't know how serious it was and the little lady almost tore half the skin off trying to pull him out. Then the next day, I found a dead **** on the road, and I had a coonhound puppy. Well I decide it was time for some training. I cut the **** tail off, start playing around with the puppy with it. Him with puppy teeth and all. Hes gnawing all over the thing, I snag it from his mouth and make him jump for it, and he sinks his teeth right into my hand. Full depth puppy teeth.
Road kill germs all running through my blood. But I think it killed the tick germs. lol.
The new eyeball that appeared between my regular eyes was just temporary.
But the doctor said the petri dish burnt when they touched it with the cotton swab. So I'm good. :)

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Road kill germs all running through my blood.
Reminds me of my buddy Ken. When he was a teenager he would stay up for days and not eat, even before drugs (which came later in his life). He was rail-thin, and paid zero attention to taking care of himself. I once commented to him that I had never seen him sick. He said, "A parasite is looking for a host." ... Apparently, he was not going to make it easy on them.

It's time to call the old boy. Good night kids.

In addition, many a beekeeper seem to could lose some weight.
Must be the too many carbs - too close to the very carb source.
:)
I don't discriminate. Carb, protein, occasional fiber. .... I wonder what we have in the kitchen. Mmmmm

·
Registered
187 Posts
This might just be my inexperience, but I just don't think bees are always that predictable either. I like to go sit next to my hives for a while and just watch what they are doing. Last year, and this year up until about a month ago they never paid any attention to me. Then one day I went to take a look and while 15 feet away one rogue bee flew directly at my face and stung me just inside my nose. No bumping or warning, no other agitated bees, just a banana burst inside my nose. The next day again just standing 15 feet away and out of the flight line of the bees, one bee took a beeline for my eye and stung my eyelid. I have seen no other changes in the behavior of any of the colonies, and they have all remained docile whenever I am in the hive. Is it common every once in a while to have just a couple of pissy bees that are determined to ruin your day?
Yep.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
447 Posts
Reminds me of my buddy Ken. When he was a teenager he would stay up for days and not eat, even before drugs (which came later in his life). He was rail-thin, and paid zero attention to taking care of himself. I once commented to him that I had never seen him sick. He said, "A parasite is looking for a host." ... Apparently, he was not going to make it easy on them.

It's time to call the old boy. Good night kids.

I don't discriminate. Carb, protein, occasional fiber. .... I wonder what we have in the kitchen. Mmmmm
Just raised in different times. Lol. Had plenty of big gash cuts but never a stitch. We would always nick ourselves skinning hides when we were trapping as kids. We would get ticks all over us. Leeches. You name it. One time we had a litter of puppies that got mango worms all through them. My dad just had us start popping them all out. He poured peroxide on the wounds and every puppy lived. Those mango worms is prolly the worst thing I've dealt with. Either that or a chicken farm with the exhaust fans not working.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just raised in different times. Lol. Had plenty of big gash cuts but never a stitch. We would always nick ourselves skinning hides when we were trapping as kids. We would get ticks all over us. Leeches. You name it. One time we had a litter of puppies that got mango worms all through them. My dad just had us start popping them all out. He poured peroxide on the wounds and every puppy lived. Those mango worms is prolly the worst thing I've dealt with. Either that or a chicken farm with the exhaust fans not working.
Where did you live to get mango worms on your pups? We had them on our dogs in Africa, and I got them in my arm a couple of times. And jiggers under the toe nails...

Reactions: Struttinbuck

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
447 Posts
Where did you live to get mango worms on your pups? We had them on our dogs in Africa, and I got them in my arm a couple of times. And jiggers under the toe nails...
We have them here too. If they are from a Bot fly.. They look like a bee The puppies momma was trying to carry them around by the back legs. It was her first litter. And we think she may have nicked up their back legs. All the muscle in their back legs were gone. Some of those little pups had 20-30 maggot looking worms all under their skin. And our Dad just started popping them all out like zits. Thank God I was a little older for that one. Probably 14. And yea he had me and my brother in there popping worms out too. That and pulling ticks off of dogs was gross too. It was in N.E. Ohio

·
Registered
2-10 frame deep Langstroth
54 Posts
We had a nice gentle hive one day the next time we went out I was covered with bees from head to toe. We do not have africanized here.

I never work without protection, some hives totally ignore you, right now we have one hive that hunts us down in the yard to sting us. One bee flew straight at me and stung me between the eyes, I was around 75 feet from the hives. They swarm out if you even touch the hive. That one is being requeened, again, as soon as our short nectar flow is over.

My guess is they smoke them up good, spray with sugar water, then film.
this ^

41 - 60 of 78 Posts