Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family always asked me how come this lady can work her bees without protection.

I don’t know if I should be in awe or wonder whats wrong with my bees? My Texas bees are never trust worthy enough to not use protection.

I see people on YouTube work their bees with a T-shirt and a veil but man I swear my bees know exactly where my eyes are.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I work bees without any protection as well.

Other members here work bees without protection.

When I use a veil, it's an indication of a major problem in the apiary.

·
Registered
Langstroth hives. As many as I can.
56 Posts
I work bees without any protection as well.

Other members here work bees without protection.

When I use a veil, it's an indication of a major problem in the apiary.
That still amazes me. Seems like it something that should be done easily but every other time I’m pulling the boxes apart I’ve got one stubborn girl bopping my veil. Seems like I’d be stung in the face without the veil. In time I suppose. All of you with experience still seem like you’re using secret magic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I work my hives without protection and smoke sometimes, either I am not going in deep and just checking if frames are drawn etc, or its during afternoon sun , or the colony is not much bigger than a nuc and there is some kind of flow on... a strong colony on a cool drizzly day during a dearth... have fun

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
There are many times no protection isrequired especially if you only make video record on chosen days . I find a veil saves a lot of time and wear one especially in yards withmany colonies. I only wear gloves when pulling honey or during dearth or questionable weather. Do what you personally are comfortable with. And KNOW that all these galactic bee warriors all have had epic melt downs and HIGH SPEED LINEAR PANICS in their beekeeping careers! I know I have had them and many times when it was prudent to just walk away for fifteen minutes and recharge the smoker!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,803 Posts
There is some sect or religion that plays with snakes.
I have seen guys wrestle bears.

Guess it is up to you to decide what level of "exposure" you are comfortable with.

I wear a jacket with veil.
of the 30ish hives I have a couple could be done in a T shirt.
Some will try to get you thru the veil or gloves, so it is a bee race thing IMO.

The ones likening to work bees in a T shirt are welcome to come give it a try on my Russians......

PM Me

GG

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some of my bees are gentle, some are not. I wear a veil, jacket and gloves but the finger tips are gone for the right hand. It is rare for them to go after my finger tips anyway. Since there is a mix of attitudes in my beeyard I suit up that way. I often work the nucs with no protection for a while until one of the meaner hives decides I am too close. If anyone comes to visit my beeyard that isn't experienced with bees I know which ones to let them look inside and which ones to leave alone. I believe most beekeepers working with no protection are "for real " but it bothers me to see someone always working with small hives, young bees talking about how gentle their bees are. Also most beekeepers know their comfort levels and know their bees. Just like a swarm at work a while back: someone standing nearby seemed a little fearful, wanting to know if they were mean wild bees. They had come up out of a nearby ravine and looked like they hadn't been there long. I told him no and explained the swarming process and ran my fingers through the cluster. Then unintentionally I was the "bee whisperer ".

·
Registered
523 Posts
What she does is incredibly dangerous and misleading. Texas has a huge problem with Africanized bees and you can't tell if they are Africanized by looking at them. The only way to tell is either through DNA testing or actually experiencing their behavior. What you see her doing is fake and staged. Her husband comes through and cuts everything up for her, gets all of the big hive disturbances out of the way, calms them down, and then she goes in and carefully lifts stuff up with no protection as if you can do that after just cutting them out of a wall or floor.

Most of the people I know that work without suits (still always a veil) are just used to the stings and they are not bothered by it. They still get stung a lot. Its like welders who weld with nothing but a T-shirt and a helmet.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What she does is incredibly dangerous and misleading. Texas has a huge problem with Africanized bees and you can't tell if they are Africanized by looking at them. The only way to tell is either through DNA testing or actually experiencing their behavior. What you see her doing is fake and staged. Her husband comes through and cuts everything up for her, gets all of the big hive disturbances out of the way, calms them down, and then she goes in and carefully lifts stuff up with no protection as if you can do that after just cutting them out of a wall or floor.

Most of the people I know that work without suits (still always a veil) are just used to the stings and they are not bothered by it. They still get stung a lot. Its like welders who weld with nothing but a T-shirt and a helmet.
I watched a few of those videos a few days ago and was thinking along the same lines as you. I thought they probably went in there fully suited first to be sure they were not AFB.

Alex

·
Registered
154 Posts
Even Ralph Jones 111 who sticks his finger in a hive entrance, says he is not brave but just knows his bees and wouldn't keep mean bees, chomps down on comb with honey and pollen with bees still crawling around on it., takes a veil with him to do cutouts. He tells those watching that you don't know the nature of the bees right away. He is in Virginia far away from typical africanized bee territory .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not only are the general public being misled, my friends and family showing me Erika and others collecting and working bees with no protection, dressed in their nice clothes or tshirt,shorts and flip flops are wondering why I can't do the same.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just remembered, I did stop on my way to church one evening to help my brother in law catch a swarm. One of them pooped on my tan dress slacks. How's that for "saving the bees"?

·
Registered
724 Posts
She's getting a lot of social media attention, which is her goal, but it's irresponsible to work bees without protection. I also think a lot of setup and verification is done before her videos are made. Working bees without at least a veil is dangerous.

·
Registered
909 Posts
We had a nice gentle hive one day the next time we went out I was covered with bees from head to toe. We do not have africanized here.

I never work without protection, some hives totally ignore you, right now we have one hive that hunts us down in the yard to sting us. One bee flew straight at me and stung me between the eyes, I was around 75 feet from the hives. They swarm out if you even touch the hive. That one is being requeened, again, as soon as our short nectar flow is over.

My guess is they smoke them up good, spray with sugar water, then film.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
The ones likening to work bees in a T shirt are welcome to come give it a try on my Russians...
GG, I was raised during the Cold War like half the folks on here, but I don’t know why you continue to propagate these myths about Russians. 😜

Doing splits later today or tomorrow, in a t-shirt. And they rarely sting me 30x like they did Monday. Probably take 3-4 before nightfall, but I’ll be in breezy comfort between stings. That’s the nice part.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I work my bees in a veil, a,tee shirt and jeans and have no problems UNTIL it's time to rob honey.At that point my very gentle bees are murderous. It takes full armor. What you are seeing, on social media,most of the time,is .very selective. In other words,"while I am showing off I will only show my gentlest colonies".

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Back to the original question:

There's nothing special about Erika, many of us work bees without protection. She's a salesperson.

Outside of ABH country, the need to wear protection isn't such a big deal.

IDK what sort of bees folks are working where they need to wear full armor.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts