Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do one or two talks a month for various groups and organizations. Trying to taylor a talk on bees to non-beekeepers is always tricky.

For my last talk, I said, "When people find out I keep bees, they have lots of questions." Then I proceded to give my talk on the most popular questions I get asked when people find out I keep bees.

1. Do you get stung a lot?
2. Do you harvest honey all year long?
3. What do bees do during the winter?
4. How did you get started keeping bees?
5. Is there still a shortage of bees/are the bees still dying?

Ansering those questions filled the twenty minutes they alloted for me to speak. Then, as I thanked them for the opportunity to share my passion with beekeeping, someone said, "I have a question." Then there was another question, and another, and another. Fifteen minutes later, I cut off the questions and yielded the podium to the moderator who thanked me and dismissed the group. And he didn't seem to want me to stop! After we dismissed, a small group clustered around me for another thirty minutes of asking questions as people left the building.

The format of introducing questions people ask was very well received. I'd like to tweak the talk to include other questions.

My question to you is: when you're out in public or selling at the farmer's market, what questions do people ask you?

All the best,

Grant
Jackson, MO www.maxhoney.homestead.com

·
Banned
840 Posts
I always get the weird ones. They ask me...

Don't you have anything better to do than answer questions?

How many times have you been asked how many times you have been stung?

(then the old one..two combo)
What's the weirdest place you have been stung? Can I see?

Do bees get some sadistic gratification from stinging?

Do you get some kind of masochistic gratification from being stung?

Can I ask another question about bees stinging?

:lpf:

Big Bear

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
1. Do you get stung a lot?
a. How many times do you get stung?
2. What do bees do in winter?
3. What did you do to make this honey so dark compared to that honey?
a. Why is this jar of honey so dark?
b. What's with the dark honey?
c. Why are you trying to sell so much bad honey? (pointing out the dark honey row of containers)
4. Are the bees still disappearing?
a. I hear cell phones are killing off the bees... is that right?
5. The guy over there is selling alfalfa honey... why don't you have any? (It's all 'Wildflower' honey in our market booth and some seem to want to see varietal labels, I guess?)
6. Where do you have your bees?
7. My favorite one after talking to a pre school group of kids... Do you have a question, young lady in the Sponge Bob T-shirt? "Yes, my birthday is in the summer."

I start every talk out with a statement that "We're only going to discuss honey bees today- not hornets, yellow jackets, wasps, etc. OK?" That usually helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah....it's my first year and the folks in the ER where I work think I'm some sort of expert. We all know that is nowhere near being the truth. The questions are un-ending. I do my best to put a good light on our pursuit but sometimes I get thrown for a loop.

The highlight so far was a summer party for friends, family and co-workers. A dozen people wanted to see the bees. Alright, let's go. Crack open the inner cover, hand a frame to the woman showing the most fear, and no one was stung. Answered questions for an hour. Went back to the party and answered more questions.

I guess the best we can do is be good ambassadors....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've heard some stupid one's and some pretty good one's.

Why do you sell honey when it doesn't cost anything for the bees to collect it?

Why do you keep bees?

How do you know if they are Africanized?

Do bees lay their eggs inside you when they sting?

What would happen to them if you used pot in your smoker instead of burlap?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
You're not allergic to bees, are you?

Why do you use smoke?

How do you get the honey out of the combs?

What all do you wear? Do you have one of those suits so the bees can't sting you?

Are you fascinated by all insects, or just by bees? (Everyone loves Lepidoptera too, don't they?)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do 2 Markets a week. I love to answer questions and talk bees most times I learn something from someone who used to keep them.
I Get the usual 2 or 4 each week that tell you they can get quarts of honey for 2.50 and of course its sourwood. They never can tell me who has it for that price because I would buy them out.
Q; what kind of honey is this
A; its whatever the bees decided to bring in, I dont ask them.
Q: Is this Organic Honey
A:You cant make organic honey unless you are on an island alone.
They usualy are shocked when I tell them this because they paid high price for a lie. ;)
Talking to folks Is a trip. If we dont Inform they wont know.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Q: Is this Organic Honey
I got that one at the fair and the lady was startled that some one would lie to her in a "Health Food Store"
Get the usual 2 or 4 each week that tell you they can get quarts of honey for 2.50 and of course its sourwood
Yeh I been looking for that guy too :lpf::lpf:

When they ask "what kind of honey is this" I tell them that the bees have to visit 2 million flowers to make one pound of honey and we dont have time to watch what flowers they are going to.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Someone asked me today if I had any raw honey "like they sell at the health food store". I asked if he meant comb honey and he said no it isn't. I don't go to health food stores so I don't know what he is talking about. That is the second time someone asked me that.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Best one this year came from my landlord who saw the LOCAL HONEY sign in my yard. She wanted to know how local and how much? I took her into my back yard to see the ladies. She said OH MY that is pretty local so how much for a pound? Gave her one on the house so to say, and she said she would spread the word and help sales. Jim:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts