Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the season of declining bees now, which is appropriate for the dearth. However, I'm puzzled as my hives have a LOT of solid, wall-to-wall capped brood. Some have 6 frames easily, of solid capped brood. It seems to me an odd time, and inconvenient, as there will be many more mouths to feed in August, when there's no nectar flow. Weird weather patterns having something to do with this? Or have I missed seeing this in previous years? Admittedly I've been inspecting much more frequently this year, in an effort to be more proactive with the bees. (in southwest Ohio)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
This is called "not locally adapted bees".
They don't really know or care about the local dearth.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,547 Posts
Karen, when is the goldenrod flow there?
capped, new bee, nurse bee, field bee, that brood should be foraging in 3-4 weeks.
May work out fine, if there is a goldenrod bloom there.

Here we have a good goldenrod flow.

GG

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goldenrod and New England aster don't start till late August, at least in my recollection, which can be faulty. I've been referring to this chart for years, which was a handout at SW Ohio beekeeping school. It may be hard to read but it show two curves: thousands of bees, and day-old larvae, plotted against month. Clearly there's a decrease in laying at the end of the flow, and the day old larvae drop dramatically. Seems that's not haeppning this year - the queens are laying like crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Say more. "not locally adapted"? Mine have been around since 2008, rearing their own queens. So it's whatever the genetic mix is in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
hmm ok odd behavior.
I have some that have shut down laying so , it seems at times they have a mind of their own.

Maybe we have a warmish late fall and the bees have read the farmers almanac,, :)

I would let it ride and observe. See what they look like in late sept. Do a lift test in time to feed if necessary.
Let us know how it goes, I am curious to see how it turns out.
what is your configuration? 2 deep?

GG

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Say more. "not locally adapted"? Mine have been around since 2008, rearing their own queens. So it's whatever the genetic mix is in the neighborhood.
You mean you have been artificially inseminating your own queen with your own drones since 2008?
I will guess - not.
:)

In fact, anything beyond the F2 has very little left from the original founder in the case of random mating.
This is how the bee breeders stay in business.

What bee you have today and your bees back in 2008 have very little in common (if anything).
You are part of that genetic mix in the neighborhood (which is pretty much out of control and is a great unknown).
A migratory beek could have setup a shop in the area last year for a month, and significantly swing the local genetics just by doing so. Possibilities are limitless.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
You mean you have been artificially inseminating your own queen with your own drones since 2008?
I will guess - not.

In fact, anything beyond the F2 has very little left from the original founder in the case of random mating.
This is how the bee breeders stay in business.

What bee you have today and your bees back in 2008 have very little in common (if anything).
You are part of that genetic mix in the neighborhood (which is pretty much out of control and is a great unknown).
A migratory beek could have setup a shop in the area last year for a month, and significantly swing the local genetics just by doing so. Possibilities are limitless.
"So it's whatever the genetic mix is in the neighborhood."
That's what she said. I think what she meant was they were not "southern package bees" maybe ?

·
Registered
512 Posts
We are in the season of declining bees now, which is appropriate for the dearth. However, I'm puzzled as my hives have a LOT of solid, wall-to-wall capped brood. Some have 6 frames easily, of solid capped brood. It seems to me an odd time, and inconvenient, as there will be many more mouths to feed in August, when there's no nectar flow. Weird weather patterns having something to do with this? Or have I missed seeing this in previous years? Admittedly I've been inspecting much more frequently this year, in an effort to be more proactive with the bees. (in southwest Ohio)
Karen, I think it is reasonably safe to say that this year/season is a VERY weird season for our honey bees. We had 2 hard freezes in late April, followed by unusually large amounts of rain and cool temperatures, now we have a record heat & humidity wave in conjunction with a pretty much failed nectar flow this season. There was some half way decent nectar/pollen flow depending upon the area your bees are located but it was not great. This roller coaster ride with nectar & pollen resources coming through the hive entrance has my queens laying like crazy when the nectar/pollen was coming in and now the spigot is turned off. I have planted about 5 acres of heavily seeded buckwheat which my bees are working like crazy in the early mornings but that is still not enough. I am feeding them food patties as well. I tried various ways of feeding Ultra Bee patties but they can be fed ONLY in small amounts that each hive can readily consume otherwise the Ultra Bee patties become small hive beetle larva bombs. I changed over to Healthy Bee patties after testing them for a few months and found that small hive beetles DO NOT like Healthy Bee patties but my bees DO.....a LOT. If you want to keep your queens laying and the hive in general overall health, you MUST feed them and ensure the hive is getting all of the resources and nutrients they need to raise healthy bee larva as well as feed the colony. If the hive does NOT get this, the queen will typically begin to reduce the amount of laying she does and will even stop laying if resources become critical. You DO NOT want this. You DO want to keep your hives healthy during the dearth and maintain the populations so they can capitalize on the late summer nectar/pollen flow.

YES the Healthy Bee patties are expensive if you buy them by the box. I purchased a pallet of 50 boxes which brings the price down to a VERY reasonable and competitive price with Ultra Bee and are in my opinion just as good and I think better than the Ultra Bee patties. Healthy Bee does periodically send out emails with 20% off coupon codes if you buy less than a pallet or you may be able to pool together with a number of local area beekeepers to split a pallet which brings the price to $60 per box plus tax & shipping.

I currently feed my hives 2 Healthy Bee patties per deep brood box (most of my hives are double deep) so most hives get four 1 lb. patties per hive. I have a few triple deeps that get 6 patties and a number of 6 frame nucs that get 1 patty per deep 6 frame box. I get NO small hive beetles infesting the patties and most of the hive totally consume the patties I feed them within a week to 10 days, many instances faster. This level of feeding has translated to very nice brood patterns & brood and large populations of healthy bees. Each hive gets a 1.25 gallon feeder bucket on top of each hive which they drain & consume in a few days.

I also have Apivar in all of my hives with the exception of the few that still have honey supers.

In a nutshell, if the nectar/pollen flow is not up to par, you bees will go backwards if you do not supplementally feed them as well as stay on top of the varroa mites.

https://healthybeesllc.com/

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
"So it's whatever the genetic mix is in the neighborhood."
That's what she said. I think what she meant was they were not "southern package bees" maybe ?
She also said she "rears her own queens since 2008" and how is it the bees could not be locally adapted because of it (the local queen rearing). Does not matter what bee you had back in 2008 - you no longer have it (unless you live on some island).

Your own queen rearing has little relevance OVER time if you do not control the "entire genetic mix is in the neighborhood" (who does?).
I too raise my own 4-5 queens - pretty much irrelevant 3-4 years from today.

For me, it is the local bulk bee seller who runs (and ruins) the genetic mix in my neighborhood.
Whatever imported stock she sells, that is what my own bees will look like in 3-4 years (love it or hate it).

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Well if it's capped it means it was laid weeks ago, when did your dearth start.

Aaron
What he said!
You've gotten the opinion of a serious, large scale, professional beekeeper. All the rest is noise...in my opinion.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Greg, I guess I just meant that I don't buy queens from out of state. And yes, it would be the whole genetic mix. With so many new beekeepers, it's likely that the drone genetics are from wherever people are getting their packages - Kentucky? Georgia?

Grey Goose, yes, I'll give an update for anyone interested (thanks for your request.) I have a friend who lives in Levering area of Michigan. Pretty dry up there lately, I hear.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Greg, I guess I just meant that I don't buy queens from out of state. And yes, it would be the whole genetic mix. With so many new beekeepers, it's likely that the drone genetics are from wherever people are getting their packages - Kentucky? Georgia?

Grey Goose, yes, I'll give an update for anyone interested (thanks for your request.) I have a friend who lives in Levering area of Michigan. Pretty dry up there lately, I hear.
We did get 2 nice rains the flow for some areas is back on.
IMO it will be good for a couple more weeks.

GG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts