Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a hive of laying workers about 150 yards away and dumped them on the ground and took the equipment home. I checked back at the hives before I went home and a bunch of the bees had returned. So this morning when I checked back to see if there were bees wondering where the hive went to, the hive beside it has a 1000 plus bees dead in front of it, looked like the after math of a battle field. Did the bees from the laying worker hive try to enter this hive and they killed them or what? I have two more hives beside this one and all is normal at them?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
If the workers from the hive you dumped tried to enter that hive bearing no gifts, ie, nector or pollen, they might have been looked at as robbers and rejected. Was it the hive closest to where the laying worker hive sat? Could explain why the other two hives weren't bothered.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
We dump a laying worker hive 50'+ away then we put the hive back where it was. Most of the bees come back but usually the laying worker(s) don't find their way back, (or maybe they do, but they forget what they were up to before?) Anyway, you should be back to a queenless hive.
Sheri

·
Registered
144 Posts
You could move the laying worker colony above another colony with a screen between. The Queens sent will stop the laying workers then unite them.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Usually they don't fight, but sometimes they do. Sometimes even a newspaper combine fights.

If you have easy access, just giving the laying worker hive a frame of brood every week until they raise a queen usually works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts