Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through my hives two weeks ago (roughly), and was very displeased in what I found. One hive is three shallows deep, plus one medium. The queen (which I couldn't find) decided to sporadically lay in some frames throughout the hive. All three supers, and one medium and brood on at lest two frames. Most of it was shotgun, and there appeared to be no pattern to the laying. I got disappointed, and figured I had to replace her before the fall came.

I went back through them today, and I'm not sure what happened since (suprecedure possible) but she has a nice laying pattern now. 80% in the bottom shallow, 20% in the second super, roughly.

I'm glad I waited and didn't pinch her on the spot :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I found the same thing. This is my first hive, so I didn't know what to expect but queen had layed very sporadically. One frame only had 3! larvae and no eggs that i could find. others were just plain hit or miss.

The next time i went through I found and entire frame filled with eggs! :)BUT there is NO build up of honey and they haven't even filled the bottom super. Now we are in dearth.

I'm going through with a beek friend tomorrow who can hopefully show me what is what! These are russian girls and sweet as they can be, but productive??? Maybe next year will tell.

I am glad that your Queen stepped up! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts