Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bees are moving up into the med super I added recently , and the queen has laid eggs up there - I found eggs and uncapped brood today . They're also storing honey , though none is capped in the super yet . I've started feeding them a 1:1 syrup to help them get more comb drawn in the super , they've still got one or two frames that haven't been at least started . The only problem I've found is that they keep trying to build cross comb between frames . I didn't catch it today on one frame before I pulled the frame , did a little damage to one foundation . <I've been clipping it with scissors if I see it before pulling frames> I'm wondering if having 9 frames in the super vs 10 in the deep might be the cause of the cross comb ...
I always check on the bees before feeding the chickens in the morning , and as usual today they're almost all loaded with pollen when they come in . I''m not sure how much nectar , but they must be getting some as they're still storing honey . The goldenrod still hasn't started blooming along the roadsides , but the stuff near my house sure is ! AR beekeeper told me a few days ago when we talked not to expect much nectar from the goldenrod and that it'd be a good idea to feed them some syrup , and they're taking some but not as much as right after I got the hive . I figure I'd like to see both the deep and medium full of capped honey <well , except for room for them to cluster> by the time the weather gets really cold here - probably around mid-Nov or early Dec .
I'm still cautiously optimistic ...:D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts