Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're supposed to have snow tommorow.

Other than making sure that my bees have sugar water is there anything I should do?

They were installed (3 lb packages) two weeks before.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Only other thing I can think of is get a hot cup of coffee and hang out in your warm house or workshop putting together more bee gear!

Dan

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know, wrap them, pile hay bales by them, put an umbrella over them....

I figured they would be fine, but just wanted to check...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
What I am going to do is study bee books, hang out on the forum, finish my observation hive, and let the bees take care of themselves. They will be fine. Enjoy the cold coming week.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Rain and snow is forcast for Chicago and So. Wisconson for tomorrow and I have to go to Lapp`s and pick up packages so while you guys are inside think of me braveing the weather :D

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Real beekeepers requeen in the snow.

Real beekeepers put in pollen patties
and slap on feeders in the snow.

Anyone can work bees when the weather is
nice, but working bees early is what
really pays off. The bees really don't
need much "help" when they can forage, do
they?

So, put on that parka, and go install those
packages!

I'm only kidding a little bit.
You could do it.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
We're supposed to get down into the 30's Sunday night into Monday. Glad my tomatoes, peppers & eggplant are still in pots on the porch. What's the deal with this weird weather anyhow?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I believe April 15 is the average date of last frost for your area. There's a world of difference between "average date" and "safe". Mother Nature is just reminding us what the word "average" means.

For us here in MN, it's cold this morning (34) but that's not far from our average. Problem is, we had an extremely warm April this year, so we're spoiled. Yesterday the temps were in the 50s with a brisk north wind, which is actually what we should expect this time of year, and I found it so uncomfortable that I stayed indoors. Only a few weeks ago it would have felt great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts