Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Up in these parts we call that a "dusting". :D Good lucking hives though...

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Hey! neat!! You have a mini,. "Lambeau Field" [the frozen tundra :D] right in your back yard. Looks barren and desolate; [except for hives] pretty much like the [green/gold] Packers :eek: post season.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Some of the oldtimers in our club say to keep the bottom entrance open even if you have a top entrance.Because the bees will fly out the top and try to enter the bottom and die? What do some of you think, i've not seen this,But? Jack

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"...keep the bottom entrance open even if you have a top entrance.Because the bees will fly out the top and try to enter the bottom and die? What do some of you think,.."

I think it depends on where you live/have your bees and how much honey stores [how many boxes high] is needed. Like NS, they are 2 deeps plus a medium. Around here, it is very rare to have daytime temperatures above 30-32 degrees since December and usually there is lots of snow. The cluster is mostly in the upper half of the hive now.

My bees rarely to almost never use the bottom entrance after November. In those states from the MO. to North Carolina, average latitude for example, have many more days when temps are 35-40 degrees or above and the bees are more actively flying; using both entrances,. [?]. Just thoughts--- I brush the snow away when I can if it's deep.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Some of the oldtimers in our club say to keep the bottom entrance open even if you have a top entrance.Because the bees will fly out the top and try to enter the bottom and die? What do some of you think, i've not seen this,But? Jack
And raise up the back side so any condensation that might occur goes down the inside front of the hive and out the entrance.

Nice neat looking apiary.

H

·
0 Posts
And raise up the back side so any condensation that might occur goes down the inside front of the hive and out the entrance.

Nice neat looking apiary.
I keep the opening of my entrance reducer downward so the moisture and water can run out and prevent damming up inside hive. I also use the larger opening.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Man that looks like soild misery. I hate winter!

Can you post the link to the tecno video. At least I can dance to that and warm myself up. :D

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Love that!

Side bar:

Are you going to make it to the Buzz?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts