Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hived a 3lb package and a caged queen on may 5th, had to go away until last night the 10th. There were only two days nice enough for them to fly in that period. This morning it started to snow and is projected to continue (100%) for today and tomorrow then tapering off for the following two days, clear weather on the week end.
I had planned on checking the queen today but now think I should wait for warmer dryer weather, the goal of keeping them warm and feed seems more important than seeing if the queen has released, make sense ?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You pulled the cork and left the candy exposed right? If so, then no reason to open it up. Nothing you could do now about it anyway. Wait for a few days...check for eggs as you look for her. If you see eggs then she got accepted.

BTW...we place cages in candy up and on the frame just under the top bar. This way a quick peek will tell you if she has been released.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed the candy cover... then promptly, not on purpose, dropped the cage.
I hope she will be ok sitting down on the bottom.
I did watch long enough to confirm that they they were trying to attend her, then closed the hive against the nasty weather.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i feel for you willy
i have a package due to arrive tommorow and the weather up here in powell is not much better than what you are seeing in your area of wy. definitly cold and wet :(
weather here is supposed to improve a little bit on thursday thou so hope springs eternal, if we are lucky it will hit here and move your direction. :applause:
even here in the bighorn basin " bannanna belt" winter seems to hang on forever and if history repeats itself memorial day weekend will be rainy and cold. :no:

ah well, you what they say, dont like the weather ?? wait 5 minets and it'll change.

beebiker

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Tell me the screen side was up or at least on the side. If not you need to go no matter what the weather and get that queen cage off the screen. They won't be able to feed her and she will die. Unless they eat the candy out really fast. Next time if you drop it, slow down and remove the a couple of frames and pick up the cage, reset the comb and place the cage in it's proper spot between the frames.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The queen cage is plastic, round in cross section, no side is closed, all equal for access.
Snowmass huh, I'm hoping to attend a Blacksmith conference in Carbondale the end of July.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts