Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to leave the snow alone around and on top of the hive or to clear it away?

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Snow is good insulation I used to worry about them not having enough air but if you look MOST of the time there will bee a space at the entrance where the snow is metled away but I still like to brush it away from the entrance.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Even when the hives are buried deep in snow there's no proble,. I've seen snow so deep as to bury 3 story colonies so I couldn't even find the apiary. Took probing with a long handled shovel to find the hives. Couldn't find some until snow melt. Upon digging them out, I found a chamber...an air pocket melted around each colony with a little chimney up to the surface.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I found a chamber...an air pocket melted around each colony with a little chimney up to the surface.
They never stop amazing us do they :applause:

·
Vendor
341 Posts
You guys got hit with a lot of the white stuff in NC I heard! Anyhow, deep snow is very common up here, coming east of Lake Erie.

Many beekeepers actually shovel on more snow around their hives to cover them for insulation. It works well.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Another thought for yaw folks that aint used to snow :lookout:

A good cover of snow (6" or so) will keep the ground from freezing, snow is good :applause:

I am dreaming of a white CHRISTmas--oh it is white but not like the east coast.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I don't worry about the snow too much. If I do get out to the hives, I'll clear the entrances to keep the ventilation air going through. That's about it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We are used to the snow here in NC where I live. I live in the foothills just east of the mountains.

Of course we don't get as much as you folks around the lakes and northeast.

Snow is not as much fun as it was when I was a kid, but I still like seeing it. This is the first snow for me as a beekeeper so I've been thinking of snow and bee questions.

My bees were from Georgia so they are probably wondering what all the white stuff is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts