Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the shows we like to watch at home is "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" We marvel at how people can be stumped by such simple questions.

Well, at the hives, apparently I am a contestant in: Are You Smarter Than A Queen Bee?

Last week I inspected my green hive, and only saw capped and near-capped brood. Frame by frame I inspected, and saw no queen nor eggs (the queen was marked so it would be easy to see). I was fretting about what to do.

I went out this afternoon to visit the "queenless" green hive, to make double-dog sure and see how it was doing. Last week I would have given away one of my kids (only the cranky one, though) on a sure bet that the hive had no queen. Well, I looked in the lower box, and saw some uncapped brood, and hey, it actually looked younger than it did on Wednesday. What?!?

I then pulled some frames on the top box, and saw even younger larvae, at about 4 days old. I looked on a few more frames, and lo and behold, I saw Her Majesty on a frame! It was the same marked (with a green dot) queen. Boy, has she been sneaky! She must be very good at hiding from me, as on Wednesday I went frame by frame looking for her. I guess she decided to stop laying for a while, but now it looks like she is back at it. I didn't go frame by frame today, but she is back in the top box and laying like a son-of-a-gun. Keep going, baby!

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Sometimes they crawl off the frame when I'm not paying attention and then onto the back of my hand and up my arm and then they perch on my shoulder, kinda looking over my shoulder, double checking my work as I go through each frame looking for her. As I start looking through each frame in reverse, looking for her again as I push all frames back into place, she sneaks back down the back side of my arm and hops over to the frame I'm placing back down into the hive. Sometimes she falls off the back of my hand as she's getting back into the hive and falls onto the ground. I then see her later as I'm done checking through the next hive, a clump of bees on the ground. I gently spread them with a finger and yep, there she is. So I pick her up and place her on the front board where she runs inside, with a wink over her shoulder at me... she was playing hide and seek again!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Maybe she was taking a nap? I have heard of queens going head first into a cell to take a few minutes to hide out. If you were looking for the green dot and it was in a cell, you wouldn't have seen it. Just a thought.

Craig

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Because of the possibility of supercedure queens, I always look for the queen's body, and not the dot of paint.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because of the possibility of supercedure queens, I always look for the queen's body, and not the dot of paint.
I try to also, but in this case, it wouldn't have done any good. The painted queen was still there.

It's a good thing the bees are in charge and know what's going on - I'd royally mess things up! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts