Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Segmented reels have frame spacers which hold the frames apart in a solid location. With the smooth reels you just stack the frames next to one another. The segmented may spin the frames dry a little faster but you get more frames in the smooth reel for a given size extractor. My brother had the Dadant 84 frame segmented and the same extractor with smooth reel sitting side by side. I could see very little difference in the two but I liked the smooth reel because it held 100+ frames and got me home sooner! The only other difference is that if you have a short load it's easier to balance the segmented reel. ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your right go with the segmented. If the combs are pressed up against each other on the unsegmented the honey will stay in the bottom of the frame and can cause blow outs.

Besides if you get a Dadant & I think Maxant:s you can double load (ignore the segments)anyway.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Never had that problem with the smooth reel, but I too would probably go with the segmented for a single extractor operation. And yes, you can double up frames on some extractors, but it puts a much heavier load on the motor. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
. And yes, you can double up frames on some extractors, but it puts a much heavier load on the motor. :D
:lpf::lpf: Give me a break. If you get a 60 frame segmented reel extractor and double load it with 90 frames or get a 90 frame smooth reel. They both come with the same exact 1/2 HP motor. So um not seeing how you come up with this much heavier load. If anything it's one more point for segmented reel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Duh! 90 frames weigh 50% more than 60. Therefore, much heavier load! You know, that gravity thingy! You can double load all you want; I'd rather spend the additional $500 and get the bigger toy. :D
I was trying to point out that Dadant's extractor motors are rated for the amount of frames on a smooth reel not a segmented and they are more then capable of the torque demands of a double load because of this.

Segments on the reel are an extra feature. You might like using them, you might not. I don't know about you I but would rather have and not use then be disappointed because I didn't get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts