Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First year Beek with a smoking question. I wear a full suit while checking the hives. I have smoked a few times but most of the time I don't smoke. Can't really tell if they fly more or less when smoked or not. I have never been stung when wearing the full suit smoking or not smoking. If I'm not getting stung either way should I even smoke at all? I know smoking sets them back a little from them eating there stores so who smokes and who doesn't and why?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I smoke every time. I smoke the bees because it moves them down into the hive and makes it easier for me to work. But I am working in short sleeves and no gloves during a short inspection. I wear the suit if I am going all of the way to the bottom board. If you get stung with the suit on you have got some pretty agro bees!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
if you thorw some smoke at them before you open them up, it def calms them down. I smoke my entrance, then i lift the lid and throw a couple of puffs in there as well and let them sit for a minute or two before i open them up.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
:) I uaually smoke after. And never wear a veil. ;) Oh, you're talking about smoking beehives. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
As I recall the take away from the mentioned thread is that smoking is for the bees' sake and not yours - you will kill less bees with careful application of smoke. Less stings is a side benefit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have ferril Bees and and sometimes smoking seems to make them more aggressive.I won't even stand too close without a suit let alone open the hive.Tried sugar water spray seemed to me the gaurds still attacted up to about 50feet away.good thing its only the gaurds. So I suggest trying different things to see what suits Your Bees best.I'm still trying with mine 2nd year Beek in training.some smoke some don't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had similar experIence. I am in my second year as well. I recently had a bee come by and look at my hive and was amazed at How little smoke he used . He literally only gave them the smallest wiff of smoke imaginable. Try smoking less it has worked with my bees.

Dkbee

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Listen to the bees, they will tell you how much smoke to use. If you know how to listen to them.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mark "Bee Whisperer" Berninghausen......LOL.......Like he said, listen to them, they will tell you. Sometimes it only takes a hint, others just a little, sometimes you have to choke'em, and sometimes no matter what you do, nothing works and it's time to walk away.....the walk away days are not fun. and th eminute you open up that hive you know you just made a huge mistake...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts