Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to open my hive and check to see if my queen has gotten out tomorrow and I am curious if I should be smoking the hive or not. Once hive was starting out on indrawn foundation, and the other one was starting out on foundation-less bars.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
An angry hippie with a smoking question:D It's up to you. If it was me I would puff a little smoke over the top bars as I remove the cover. If you go real slow you might be able to not use smoke. I've opened enough hives and gotten nailed so I always use smoke. I work in a t-shirt all the time also.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Actually, that's probably what I would do as a newbie. I'd light it and not use it unless I think I need it. Some smoke in the air would probably be sufficient anyway. If your slow and graceful they may not even notice...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I light it and smoked the entrance a little bit just to let them know I was there. I ended up pulling out the queen cage and then proceeded to drop it into the hive and had to go fishing. I had forgotten my gloves, but still managed to not get stung.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"I ended up pulling out the queen cage and then proceeded to drop it into the hive and had to go fishing. I had forgotten my gloves,...."--angryhippie.

"As carefull as one is, there are always times when you might drop a frame or jar a box too much,..etc.,:rolleyes: and the bees get riled and,...yada,yada.--Ob. From "i stopped smoking" thread.

Yup, once that happens it will always be remembered for next time, as one of those,.."very carefully" moments :). I had that happen but it was at installation, not a few days later. It was probably well that you forgot your gloves!! For one or two new hives you wouldn't think smoke is necessary for this job, but for a newbie it's probably better. Next time, you could try sugar syrup,..:).

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I had a frantic call when I got off work last night. One of my new beekeepers already had a honey super on her new hive. When she went to remove the top super to inspect the brood guess what stuck to the super. Well when the frame was too far out to set back down, it broke free of course. She was used to the gentle friendly Cordovans and not what occured yesterday. She left them for a half hour, made a new game plan, and fixed everything as it was. This is not the only hive of the 26 that is already bustin out honey. We must be doing something right. More them than me. I just teach the basics and put frames of brood in the hives they assembled with a queen cage. You can say what you wish as we watch the honey drip down the extractor at that workshop shortly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts