Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Package-in-the-hive method on drawn foundation & 1 frame of capped honey & feeding 2:1. Tomarrow I retrieve the package box, the queen cage (assuming she's been released) and then fill out the remaining frames with drawn foundation and another frame of capped honey.

After only 2 days and a wake-up, should I fire up the smoker, or would that be causing them too much distress so early? Or visa versa?

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I just open the hive and remove the package and add frames (14 this year) I will go back and remove the queen cages in 4 to 5 days NO SMOKE.
If I go back in 2 weeks I will smoke because it is their home then.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reading the posts, it does seem that many are experiencing package problems, but I wouldn't know from experience, having nuced last year.

I do know the problem I had when I only placed 9 undrawn frames in my deep last year and had to cleanup - dealing with comb-spanned frames is something I certainly don't want to experience again.

I spritz lightly as much as I smoke early in the year, and other than a few days of ants (that aren't a problem - so far) works just fine for me (no dead, sticky bees as some have reported).

If leaving them alone for a couple more days would improve their chances, I don't mind dealing with the comb - at least I have lots more drawn foundation to do a swap and deal with 'bridging' later, before my nuc arrives.

I felt that smoke was not the answer so early on, with nothing really for them to defend (except feed), but just wanting to check - thanks for the responses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts