Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after loads of frustration I finally have discovered the perfect smoker load for me.

A combination of wood pellet stove fuel, cedar shavings, and Kingsford charcol lit with propane torch. Finally a long smoking combo that can be replenished easily and cheap.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I would add to that a spritz of diesel fuel and "fatwood" you can get at any outdoorsy store. and couple of drops of gasoline.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A nuclear powered smoker would interesting. Call it the "Homer Smoker"

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Has anyone had luck (or lack thereof) with dry corn cobs. I've got a whole pile of 'em.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I old blue jeans bu then the bee inspector was just here and we used burlap and that worked great too.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Has anyone had luck (or lack thereof) with dry corn cobs?"

Too rough for me......... I'll stick with TP.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey Sundance,

I just bought some of the wood pellets and I'm having a hard time getting them lit. What is your secret?

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paper, cedar shavings, a couple chunks of charcol, and use a propane torch. Once it goes you can easily keep it going indefinatly without scrounging around for sticks, grass, and other debris.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just use a sprinkling of wood pellets at first. Then gradually add more. After a hour or so I add another chuck of charcol and feed shavings and pellets as needed (not needed too often).

I use the perforated can insert as described on Michael Bush's site. I lite it outside the smoker and use the smoker as a bellows to stoke it. When going good I them insert it into the smoker and have at it.

[ June 06, 2006, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Sundance ]

·
Registered
97 Posts
I knew a beekeeper that thought that dried cow manure was the perfect smoker fuel. It burns a long time and produces very white cool smoke.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Keeping a smoker lit isn't all about what kind of fuel, although good fuel is helpful, it's about building and maintaining a fire. If you can build a nice fire and control it you understand the principles involved. Fuel, heat, air, coals etc.

·
Registered
231 Posts
*******, many members of the local association here swear by the stuff. But just the same I prefer to take another route, though honestly I often have trouble keeping my smoker lit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts