Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was out burning off some overgrown roadways and waterways to get ready for sowing some sweet clover; I noticed several bees that came from down wind (and returned that direction as well) buzzing around me and around the area that was on fire. I had no aftershave on and pretty much smelled like smoke as I worked to guide and contain the fires. This happened in 2 different locations on the farm; as soon as the smoke started rolling, bees showed up as many as 6-10 at a times but mostly singles and pairs.

My though was that maybe a feral hive smelled the fire and sent out scouts to report where it was. Any thoughts?

RKR

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Here is a theory for you. Bees can be programmed to things by sight and/or smell. It is possible that the bees are responding to the smoke because they think that there is someone(beekeeper) with syrup for them. If they are from a hive that has been recently smoked and then they were given feed that could cause then to think there is food where the smoke is. Just like a bee yard in the fall(or during a dearth) that had the honey supers removed and the robbing of the supers started before the beekeeper left. If that beekeeper drives back in to the bee yard the next day the bees will be all over around the truck looking for the honey that was on it last time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts