Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on mixing equipment.

I build my own wooden ware. In order to simplify life somewhat I moved to all 8FD this year. In addition to that I have moved to using S1S2E eastern white pine from the one big box store for price and weight, and mostly price.
馃檪

This wood comes at right around 7/8". I had been making box jointed hives, and thickness planing the wood down to 3/4".
So in the vein of simplifying life, I am considering

1. not to thickness plane it anymore, and use it in its thickness from the store.
2. move to either rabbet or butt joints with screws

Here's the issue. This results in a longer and wider body by 1/4". I assume, as long as I always used the newer boxes above the old ones the overhang would not be of much concern, but if I ever used them in the other orientation I would have a lip that would be likely to catch rain and debris etc. It would certainly not be an issue for bottom boards, but it would also be likely to make tops and hard inner covers not necessarily interchangeable.

The easy solution is simply to run them through the planer and keep with the standard sizes.

Or I could keep the same external width and lose 1/4" internally which would leave only 1" of play with 8 frames instead of 1-1/4". I think I can still use my frame feeders which are 2" wide with only the removal of 1 frame but that only leaves me 3/8" which seems kind of tight. As it is, 7 frames plus a feeder in the regular box is pretty close quarters. If I lose 1/4" internal length that leaves me with a box that will fit my Pierco frames but only leaves 3/8" play. I fear this would encourage the bees to glue the frames to the walls.
However, is the extra width (overhang/underhang) really much of an issue other than offending the eye when they don't line up on the stand?
馃檪
I would almost think one might see this much difference from one supplier to the next, or between grades economy and commercial and so forth.

The second solution is to merely keep the larger equipment separate from the smaller which would be easy enough, but if I were going to have equipment that was different by size enough to not consider it interchangeable, would it be a good time to take the opportunity to move to a different size completely like 10 frame for example?

I guess I am just thinking out loud, because it is only a few minutes to plane the boards down to 3/4", which is probably the least amount of work in the process anyway. Just wondering if anyone has found any issues with mis-matched equipment sizes at the 1/4" amount from either buying out old equipment, or between suppliers.

Registered
Nothing worse than having outer covers that won't fit on all of your boxes.
If you own a planer,plane the wood.
Rabbet joints are fine and a time saver,just make sure boxes are square before the glue dries.(I use staples)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing worse than having outer covers that won't fit on all of your boxes.
If you own a planer,plane the wood.
Rabbet joints are fine and a time saver,just make sure boxes are square before the glue dries.(I use staples)
I have been doing finger joints and I have even considered stopping that in favor of rabbets and air staples. I am almost out of tb3 and I don't really feel like going to get some, maybe tb2 will be fine. I am feeling really lazy about this and aiming for "good enough" ...

Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
I have many sizes , and it can be a pain. So I use color to denote a "season"
last season was light blue, this winter light green last year white.

the times I make hives I do the top bottom and boxes , so just need to keep the white covers with the wright boxes.

I plane my rought swan to 15/16 from 1.0 inches, it is just a "sizing max" some parts are still rough but the bees do not care.
IMO the 3/4 is thin, not sure I would buy then take the time to remove 1/7 of the material.
ID matters the outside it what it is, that is what propolis is for.

use the misfits for traps or over stocks of swarms and make the hives the easiest and fastest way.

GG

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I just got my son to help me and ran it all through the planer. I will make some equipment later. No matter, I have bigger issues to deal with now..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts