Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nebwee ALERT! OK, so my hives are seven weeks hold, from packages. I just removed entrance reducers, as I felt they weren't quite strong enough to defend their entrances. Today, I was looking at the hives (see other thread about bee kidnappers) and I noticed a small hole on side of lower deep, made from the outside. No bigger than a dime in diameter, not quite all the way done, but yes, a small hole all the way through. Still not wide enough for a bee to pass, but I think that may have been the idea.

Now that the entrance reducers are gone, I don't think they will keep doing this hole (did they, and why wouldn't they do it from inside out, instead of from outside?)

Should I fill in hole? Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have not seen anything like ehat you're describing, but i don;t think the bees are the culprits. I have yet to see them make any manipulations to wood.

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
The hole described may possibly have been cut by a carpenter bee thinking it could lay some eggs in the hole. If that is what occurred, it would be best to fill the hole. Existing carpenter bee holes are reportedly attractive to the next generation of carpenter bees.

Are your hives painted? My experience in non-hive situations is that carpenter bees seem to prefer unpainted wood, and filling holes and painting the previously unpainted wood deters future nesting activity.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Carpenter bee. The holes will be nearly perfectly circular as if drilled by a tool about the size of a penny or dime. The bored tunnel is typically down a bit to keep rain out. Carpenter bees will chew thru paint. A tell tail sign is a pile of wood shavings (dust).

Oddly enough....not seeing many carpenter bees this year. But have seen quite a bit more mason bees.

Honey bees will chew wood, but at a very slooooooow.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Those are termite bees. If you spread some raw chicken poop around the hive it will burn their feet and they won't be able to crawl up and drill holes in your hives.:D

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I had a similiar problem, mine was solved when I found a bullet on the bottom board. Someone made them a nifty new entrance which they still use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts