Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a SHB or two in the one of my colonies during an inspection yesterday. The colony appears to be fairly strong I have some beetle traps that I am going to install. What do I use for bait? If pollen how much per trap as I will have to rob them from the cells with a toothpick?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was surprised to see those beetles in my hive several weeks ago right in with the cluster of bees. You would think that if the workers evict all the drones before winter that they would throw out the beetles as well.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You don't bait beetle traps. Just take the trap, partially fill it (less than half) with cooking oil, and put it between the frames.

The trap works by having slits that are big enough for the beetles to enter but not the bees. The bees chase the beetles around, beetles try to take refuge in the trap, fall in the oil, and drown.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't bait beetle traps. Just take the trap, partially fill it (less than half) with cooking oil, and put it between the frames.

The trap works by having slits that are big enough for the beetles to enter but not the bees. The bees chase the beetles around, beetles try to take refuge in the trap, fall in the oil, and drown.
OK there is a section in the center that it says is for bait so that's why I asked. I read somewhere that the beetles are after the pollen for the protein

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put a small amount of apple Cider vinegar in the small section of the trap. I read somewhere that that would help attract the beetles. I haven't conducted a controlled experiment to test that hypotheses however.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts