Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive seen a few of them in my hives. Should i be worried or is a few normal?
What i can i do about them?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
In my location - a few is lucky!!

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I had some frames that looked like the ones in the vid. I filled the loundary sink in my shop with HOT water and sumerged the frame in the hot water and watched the little buggers come out of the cells by shishing the frame around a while all the slim and most of the larva washed out then I set the frame outside in the sun to dry after that I put it back in a hive, freezing will work but I think this is a bit faster and it helps the bees with clean up.

just another 2 ¢

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use lastic sandwich box from Walmart with small holes drilled in the sides.The holes should be small enough for the beetles to get in but not large enough for the bees toget in. Then cut the top of any spray can so it will fit inside with the lid on and glue it in the center.Then put cider vinigar in the cap and put vegetable oil around the outside.Then sit the whole hing on top of your frames.The beetled will smell the vinigar but when they try to get it they will drown in the oil.If any questions I can send a picture via e mail

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Please send a picture!
I had a look at my hives yesterday and the SHB numbers are pretty low but they are there.
We had 14 days of rainy/showery and mild weather which forced the bees in at night. I believe that a strong hive can deal with SHB. The problem is that during hot weather the bees hang out often most of the day and night and nobody is home to keep an eye on the SHB.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts