Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First season guy here. I have one hive I started May 11th that is now in a double deep and doing great. I have a second hive I got from a trap out that is kind of weak. I ended up having to buy a queen for the second hive thst is laying now. I have an entrance reducer on the weaker hive and noticed last night how the beetles will try and fly in the reduced opening. It is almost like they see the black hole of the entrance and fly straight for it.
My question is has anyone ever tried to use something like a robber screen and some kind of beetle trap (outside the entrance) for cathing beetles? The guy at the bee supply store near me recommends apple cider vinegar along with the oil in a Beetle Blaster to attract the beetles inside the hive. I already use screened bottom boards with oil in the tray below. Just thought there might be a way to catch most of them before they get in the hive using a combination of equipment.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's great on your 1st hives. Sounds like your strategy is doing well for both. Right now on my hives which have screened bottoms/oil tray in sunlight all day, and a salt bed applied in 20ft radius in the soil, I still see a few beetles in my hives.
I also have a couple of 2 gallon buckets with some old brood comb and slumgum from my solar melter that I place near the hives and 1 goes in freezer overnight and then I swap them in morning. I have frozen several beetles that way also.
Right now, I limit my inspections so as not to "stir" the beetles up and disrupt the bees keeping them trapped or propolized.
It's a constant fight with the little devils but last few years no slime outs. Mites are bad but nothing like these pests.
Keep fighting them and I do not know of any external traps other than the bucket endeavor.
Hopefully someone will pipe up and have an external trap miracle.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I read somewhere about taking a 2ltr soda bottle...cutting the top rounded portion off and inverting it back into the bottom, acting like a funnel. Fill the bottom portion with some banana peel, melon rind, apple cider vinegar, mineral oil, and water. (look around for a forumula but Im half sure it was comprised of this material)
The SHB will go to the bottle..fall down the funnel and into the mixture and drown/die. Keep looking around for info but I'm sure you get the picture.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think that trap is more for wasps not shb
Wonder if it's work if painted black??? (since they like dark)
maybe add some wax comb to the mixture??
Just throwing things at the wall to see if it'll stick.
One of the things we talked about at our monthly bee meeting last night was how this job, hobby, intrest.......lets one expirement to see what works and doesnt. Nothing is written in stone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts