Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From everthing I read , I was expecting the SHB to be bad right off the bat..... My hives have been out for about 2 weeks. I have a Freeman SHB trap installed on both of my hives..... So far no SHB in the trap.....

My hives are in full sun bye 830 or 9 am and then until 6pm..

So why don't I have SHB?

Is this because my hives are new with very little comb ,brood, wax and eggs?
Or am I just lucky?

I am not complaing by no means just curiuos.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No thanks....... The local bee keeps told me to stay away from them at all cost unless it is winter time... They seem to draw them in from what I was told.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Your local beeks told you straight up. If you must feed them during spring only do so with enough to get them by till real pollen is available, SHB love pollen patties. SHB will show up, maybe not right of the bat, but they will show up. I'm told and have noticed that hives in the full sunlight tend not to have so many problems with them as hives in shade. Also the more populated and strong a hive is, the less agravated by SHB they get. It sounds as if you have your defense up and ready for them. Some people say that after a couple years of killing them off in an area they don't see many the following years, so you may be lucky in your area and someone else has done some killing off already. Thumbs up either way.. Good luck with your bees this year!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts