Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on some forum or a Facebook group lost it and can not find it again.

the poster used, I believe it was 1 1/2 pvc pipe for the entrance, he / she stated that the bees would coat it ( propolis I assume ) and have no problem coming and going but that the shb could not fly right in and could not walk on the pvc to gain entrance to hive, if one did manage to get into pipe the bees would knock it back out

anyone ever try this and did it work ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have always wondered if there would be a type of entrance that would deter the small hive beetle. Kinda like a cattle guard across your pasture entrance to keep the cows in. The pvc pipe design sounds like a good idea. If it was straight out of the bottom of the hive, could the bees fly straight up into the hive & keep the beetles out? It will be nice to hear some ideas on this topic.

Rob

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob73 the guy who posted this had it coming out the front but your idea sounds promising,he said he used a 45 or 90 degree fitting in winter , not sure why

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The best defence against SHB is strong hives and beetle jails. They don't like strong hives with smaller entrances due to the number of guards at the entrance from what i've seen so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts