Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the chances of very small clusters making it through the winter? I have a few. THey are active on warm days and see to have stores. I guess I am asking if size means that much as far as survival in cold weather. I live in lower middle TN (less than an hour from AL).

As far as I know these bees are all Iitalians but really can't say because they are swarms, cutouts, and trapouts. One of thes hives has a Q that is almost completely black. I know that Russians and Caucs have a small cluster. Does that mean they are just more hardy to the cold than Italians?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I find that the Carnis, Russians etc. do winter on smaller clusters than the Italians. I can get a fairly small cluster though the winter here sometimes. I would say it depends not only on race, but on why it's a small cluster. If the hive was failing, it may continue to fail. If it just didn't get built up, it may winter and build up in the spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live at 2000 ft elevation in Sandy Oregon. We had some nice random weather a few weeks ago with temps in the 70's and bee's coming and going from our hive without a hitch. This past week, temps have been in the low 30's during the night and high to mid 40's during the day. We've noticed the past 2 days small cluster's of 10 or so slow moving, but live bee's on the ground just in front of the hive. We have even seen a few stragglers on our front portch. Is there anything we need to be worried about?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there a time in late winter/early spring that you recommend not feeding anymore in our area? or should we continue pending the weather? We tend to do the latter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts