Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello--does anyone know where i can buy some medium small cell foundation? I can not find it. Thank you

·
Registered
457 Posts
Power Napper

If you mean SC foundation for medium frames, I didn't find it. I bought the SC for deep frames and cut it down. I think some people cut it in half and let the bees fill in the bottem part with what ever size they want.

I'm just using starter strips.

Pugs

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I guess I assumed he meant medium (as in thickness of the wax) foundation. Brood foundation is often called "medium brood" in whatever dimensions. But if you mean medium as in 5 5/8" or 5 1/2" wide foundation for 6 1/4" frames in 6 5/8" boxes, then, no one has it that I know of.

When I use foundation in my medium boxes, I cut the deep small cell in half and leave a gap.

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/images/Foundation49.jpg

·
Registered
298 Posts
Why does it say when reading the descriptions of the small cell foundation from both stores they say "We recommend this only to experienced beekeepers"?
Is there that many drawbacks to the small cell for the need of a disclaimer?

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
The only complicated thing is grasping that it takes two steps to get the bees back to normal size. IMO they are afraid of people buying the foundation, not doing a second step of regression, not monitoring the mites, and complaining when their bees die from mites.

I don't see any drawbacks. Even partially regressed bees have less mites. But it takes 4.9mm or smaller to get the mite population stablized.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Michael -

In your post above the foundation is wired in.

Do recommend this if you cut the full size sheets in half?

Just wondering because I was hoping not to wire my mediums. Should I be planning to wire the foundation?

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
The main reason I wire at all is to hold the foundation in place until the bees draw it. With nothing on the bottom to hold it in, I guess I feel better with some wire in it. Personally, if I wasn't going to wire, I'd just put in starter strips.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I see that Dadant sells theses pins that hold the sides of the foundation in place by placing them through the side holes. I was thinking on using one on each side at the top to hold my starter strips. Do you think this will work?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Michael, I am confused.

On another post you said that a package could be put right on small cell. Now medium cell is involved?

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
>On another post you said that a package could be put right on small cell. Now medium cell is involved?

No. Small is refering to cell size. Medium is refering to the thickness of the wax. Deep is refering to the dimensions of the frame that it goes in. I buy medium brood, small cell, deep sized foundation and cut it in half.

When you buy foundation, besides many different dimensions, it comes in the following thicknesses:

Heavy Brood (haven't seen any of this lately)
Medium Brood (for use in a brood chamber)
Surplus (thin for cut comb)
Thin Surplus (thinnest - usually for cassette comb honey)

This is not related to cell size nor the dimensions of the frame it goes in.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Michael,
How about taking a crack at my question and also to the following one. I see you cut the small sized foundation in half. Any reason for this? Why couldn't you cut it into four pieces. I thought when you meant "starter strips" it was just a small strip. Thanks.

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
You are correct. A starter strip would be 3/4" wide or so. Certainly not more than an inch. I cut it in half when I want a "full" sheet, but I don't want to waste it by cutting 5 1/2" off of an 8 1/2" sheet and wasting the 3" left over and they need somewhere to draw some drone.

I mostly use neither. I use a beveled top bar and no foundation at all most of the time. I use wax coated PermaComb a lot. And some blank starter strips cut from unembossed sheets of wax that I make from dipping a wet board in beeswax.

>I see that Dadant sells theses pins that hold the sides of the foundation in place by placing them through the side holes. I was thinking on using one on each side at the top to hold my starter strips. Do you think this will work?

They are unecessary on starter strips. You can use them if you want to use half of the deeps sheets in a medium and they will add a bit of help, but I would wire it if You want to use the half sheets. Hair pins are cheaper and work almost as well.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
There is also a plastic base small cell foundation available in deep super size. I prefer it because even with wires, all-wax foundation can quickly become a molten mess unless I can keep the bees attention on it, and I certainly cannot count on that happening.

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
Dadant is the only company selling the small cell plastic. I have not had any luck with it on unregressed bees. I have heard reports from others that have not had luck with it on unregressed bees either. For me it has worked about the same as any other plastic on regressed bees.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Since regular foundation is worker size, bees must rework it to obtain drone cells, right?
Will these drone cells be the same as in small cell drone cells?
Are drone cell combs OK if set aside for nectar storing?

According to bee biology and behaviour, a colony would be more prone to build worker size comb at the beginning of the nectar flow, when population increase needs extra room, right? IF a colony were fed syrup continously and excluded from field foraging, what do you think they will interpret as Spring ? Is temperature and day length for them a clue? What kind of comb is built under artificial feeding conditions?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts