Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about variation in bee size, and how that equates with cell size. Will bees be noticeably smaller in appearance as they move to small cell?

I ask because more and more of my bees appear very tiny to me as they continue to emerge. I have a large observation window and a lot of the new bees are very small.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I would like to know also. I'm pretty sure that is one reason that some people are moving to small cell foundation. But, I only have the regular size foundation and I have several hives of dark colored bees and they are noticable smaller than my regular colored bees. I really like the smaller bees better. They seem to work very hard and have fewer problems.

·
Registered
892 Posts
in all the reading ive done on small cell.... the reason they move toward it is because the cell size determines the bee size. (and the supposed benefits of smaller size and fewer veraoa mites)

so in short yes.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yes the cell size will effect bee size.
Small cell will develop smaller bees (whether they are "noticeably" smaller, I don't know).

1) Smaller cell is "natural" - the standard cell size is actually larger than bees would naturally build.

2) (unless I have mixed this up) It supposedly can allow the bees to cap slightly sooner - preventing the entry of some verroa. This I don't really get since from what I read it is more likely that faster pupating and emergence would do a lot more to prevent varroa since immature varroa will die in the cell.

as far as I remember those are the main reasons.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts